1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects for Bass

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by steeleyes, Apr 11, 2008.

1. steeleyes

steeleyes

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello all and hope your weekend is off to a good start.
    I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some feed back on the best effects for bass.
    I brought the Boss Dynamic Wah ped but it really dose not push out the voice sim the way I would like.
    I would also like to know what would be the best digital delay for bass is. I would like one that allows me to also play notes or riffs backwords.
    Thanks much
    Steel

2. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I don't think there is a bassdesigned delay pedal, but I've seen/heard a lot of bassplayers who use the Line 6 delay. You know, the big green one.

3. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud

Jan 12, 2010
    WHY?

I always have three different sounds when I play a gig.

I play with my fingers,
    I play with a flat pick,
    Or I play with the tone knob rolled back to zero.
    Off on a tangent.

Delay with bass. Not for me. I can't find a DELAY setting I like. I like to play STACCATO notes and a DELAY pedal will not allow me to do that.

4. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

I just picked up a Compression pedal, and am looking at the Agular Tone Hammer. I am working on getting my tone the way I like.

Even though I play only with fingers, I find that I can get a lot of variety by altering where I play, closer to the neck or closer to the bridge. I can really change the tone substantially by pulling the string with the flat of my fingers or just the tips. When I use just the tips, I can get a crisper snappier tone. Sometimes I emphasize that tone by striking the string with the tips in passing, in other words, the finger tip hits the string in the center of the arc of motion, with a follow through.

Never really heard a delay or distortion pedal that I liked on bass. (Not even Cliff Burton, God rest his soul)

Might like to pick up an Octave pedal some day. Saw a "Power Chord" pedal that looked pretty cool too.

5. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I use Bass Chorus and Octave, but I really don't need to use them.