Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects for electronica

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh_s08, Apr 19, 2004.

1. I was just wondering what fx might be good for bass in a electronica type band. Any input would be great.

2. evelope filters and fuzzes might be good maybe an octaver.

3. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Yeah, fuzz or some other really compressed effect would be cool, also the Boss Phase Shifter (PH-5?) is pretty cool to play around with. Also look at Electro Harmonix for some pricy noise makers, or Zvex. Or this guy, once again, not cheap. http://www.rastopdesigns.com/effects.htm

I bet basstriaxis knows a thing or two about these things.

4. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I play with a group that does a lot of drum & bass, jungle, etc. I use a boss OC2 with the octave 1 all the way up, the octave 2 about 15% up, and the dry almost off. I run it into a moogerfooger mf1 filter set to where the filter just opens a little bit when I really dig in, and the frequency tuned to the sub nether regions. This gives me a great synthy/dub tone. It sounds very much like a programed dub bass patch. I also use a Line 6 DL4 delay in conjunction with an EH ring mod, Boss bass flange, and MXR phase 90 for textural delays, and looping. Really the octave, and filter are key to getting that nasty dub tone for me. For analog bass synth sounds, I use a Boss synth, but I really don't like it. The EH bass micro synth might be all you need for analog synth sounds. You also might want to check out the Roger Lin Adrenalin, or Moogerfooger MURF for arpegiated filter/modulation effects.

5. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Man, I checked out that frostwave link, pretty cool stuff.

6. i know, the blue ringer really has my eye. Thanks for the help!

7. You might want to look into the Behringer Bass v-amp. It has 17 diferent varioations of bass synth, plus distortion, compression, evnelope filters, a cool sub-octave and a lot of other effects. Also, if you get one, I would recommend getting a MIDI-USB adaptor and dowloading the Behringer editing software. That will give you even more options with most of the effects.

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I play in an electronica band and I use my synth (akai deep impact), chorus, volume (for swells), Overdrive (bassdrive), phaser (MXR phase90), and moogerfooger lowpass. I also use the sub ocatve setting on my Ashdown preamp and the tone from my Wal.

It all depends on what you want to do. At a practice session the other night I had a cable go bad, so I didn't use any effects (just bass into amp) and just turned my tone to bring really deep and it also sounded great.