1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects for Guitar AND Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Apr 22, 2006.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

This may seem a bit blasphemous, but I might as well give it a shot.

While I primarily play bass, I've been getting more and more into guitar. My only pedal for guitar at the moment is a Line 6 Uber Metal distortion.

I'd like to start building up a good selection of pedals that will work well for guitar, but also possibly double on bass. I've got a Bass POD Live, but I'd like as much bang for the buck from my pedals as possible.

So, besides the Big Muff, which I will get at least one of, what effects do you use on guitar or bass that works the other way around just as well?

I'm looking mainly for chorus, reverb, and delay, but suggest ANYTHING you know of!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Most "guitar" pedals go both ways. Most of my effects are not labelled or marketed for bass but sound great.

Personal favorites for double duty:
    MXR Dynacomp
    Boss BF-2 Flanger
    EHX Big Muff Pi
    Any delay pedal

3. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    When I play guitar or when I play bass, the only difference in my whole signal chain is i the tweeters on ym cabs (off) and the actual instrument.

The guitar player that I've been jamming with loves my guitar sound.

4. yeah, personally i use all my effects for both instruments...of course, i like a bassier Blues/jazz clean tone, and that SRV overdrive, which to my ears is bassier (or at least more full than most) overdrive, so my bass overdrive helps...

plus i think that most guitar/bass effects are interchangeable...you could probably take any bass effect and use it for guitar, and vice versa

5. the main division between bass and guitar effects would seem to be on stuff that tracks like octavers and synth pedals, although stuff like the POG and HOG do perfectly well on both. most are more tempremental though. on overdrives and fuzz the two or three band EQs normally level out the sound for either bass or guitar well enough. its normally possible to replace one or two things on the circuit board and optimise it for either the highs or lows but its not strictly necessary i think.

6. i mainly use guitar effects...actually, only one of my pedals are bass orientated..i havent actually tried my guitar through my pedal chain..i got a 70's Japanese Vantage double cut les paul copy, ash body, with two HB's with coil tabs...great guitar for $90aus, id put it up against an american fender
    maitlandpedals.
    the behringer chorus is the only bass one
    mid 80's Ibanez TS10 TubeScreamer
    George Dennis Wah Wah
    Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal (way better than the metal zone)

SRV used a TS9 tubescreamer (or 2)..i think what really gave srv that bassy sound was the mix of ultra heavy strings and the 15" speaker mod he had done to his amps