Effects for Psychedelic stoner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Conkal, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Conkal

Conkal

Jun 23, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    I am discussing with some friends to enter their band. They self describe the band [which i havent heard and it didnt have any recordings] as psychedelic/heavy stoner band, it is a style that is huge in the local underground-ish scene

I am not an expert in stoner sub-genres or in stoner rock per se. but i understand that a heavily processed sound is expected.

I have some effects that would cover most cases in my other bands. [OD, fuzz, chorus, compressor]

What kind of not-so-common effect would be usefull for my case?

I am into building effects my self DIY style so it would be a nice opportunity to get myself building .

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've always wanted an envelope-controlled chorus (or phaser) where the envelope affects the sweep speed rather than directly affecting the sweep itself - so it's not constantly repeating itself, but giving each note attack that vowel-like thing. Ought to just build one I guess.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I would not describe any stoner rock as using a heavily processed sound. Most stoner rock bands are pretty raw rock bands with a heavy blues influence. Kind of like a more aggressive Southern rock. I wouldn't say anything other than dirt and a loud rig are necessary.

P-oddz and hintz like this.
  4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Op-amp Muff plus a dual-LFO Phaser like the Phase 99 should be plenty psychedelic/stonery (thinking mid-90s alternative/post-grunge personally)

mattbass6945 likes this.
  5. Conkal

Conkal

Jun 23, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    I can't design the pedal , mind you. I wish i could but i can build one from sites like MusikDing

@
    DiabolusInMusic
    Are you sure that this is also true for more psychedelic style of stoner bands ?

6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Alexander Calavera is a phaser that does this (in the Dinamica mode), and I think the Pigtronix Quantum is a chorus that does it.

bholder likes this.
  7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Pigtronix make a couple of envelope controlled phasers, and the Source Audio Manta can do that trick too.

My secret weapon is a Carbon Copy delay into a phaser (Small Stone or Phase 90). I don’t use the delay in the traditional sense, but mount it sideways, fit rubber surrounds on the knobs (like mini versions of the one that come with the Phase 90) so I can tweak them with my foot, and use it to make shrieking UFO noises. It’s like playing another instrument whilst playing bass at the same time, and you can vary it between subtle washes to full on sonic destruction!

hintz and bholder like this.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Earthquaker Rainbow Machine
    Red Panda Particle
    WMD Geiger Counter
    Mantic Flex Pro
    Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe
    Bananana Matryoshka

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Jakeman and monsterthompson like this.
  9. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Tube amp or OD, a fuzz pedal, and a wah.

Phasers and envelope filters can be nice, too.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  10. fuzz, OD, phasers pretty standard . Wah can work too, envelope filters not so much for me. i found them too difficult to sit in a mix and at loud volumes it can be hard to hear enough detail to control your touch and the effect. i recently added a tremolo to my board and love it. i got a pretty full featured one and it can add all sorts of trippy goodeness or pulsating noise and feedback.

knumbskull likes this.
  11. Conkal

Conkal

Jun 23, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    Thank you all for starters ...!

Except from the fuzz and OD , i have an EBS Unichorus pedal [chorus , flanger and pitch modulation] could i use that instead of a phaser? does it sound right for the genre?

12. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Idiotbox's Super Bass-o-matic '76 might be good. There isn't much info about it, but it seems to be something like parked wah and envelope filter.

13. i find chorus and flange to sound cheesy, but then again the entire genre is quite cheesy anyway. Anything can work. Is it typical? No you don't hear much flange and chorus on bass in this type of music, i suppose if you apply it in a subtle way you can simulate a phaser or you can break the mold and flange proudly :). You can also find an MXR Phase 90 or Phase 100 for pretty cheap.

14. Conkal

Conkal

Jun 23, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    I am not from North America, so most pedals are not found used easily and "pretty cheap" is a bit relative. Phase100 for example costs 175 euros which is not cheap. I should gather money till summer to be able to buy it . I plan to spend some money on my slowly-built pedalboard but i need to be sure about the steps first.

15. fair enough, but probably one of the cheapest phasers you can buy regardless of where you are. there is also the Joyo phaser, it sells for about $40 here.