Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects for punk...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PUNXBASS, Jan 31, 2006.

1. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    hey yall,
    been jammin with this band for awile now, and were set up to record a demo with a local label here soon and lined up for a crap load of gigs. We play punk/grunge/street punk and i was considering a pedal to run to my amp. I grabbed a distortion/drive pedal and im liking it a good bit. Any others that yall like? Punk is pretty straight forward so i mean i think the drive should be good.

Im running a Fender into a B4R ampeg then that into a 410he, and im working on building a musicman.

thanks,
    JJ:bassist:

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    That's all you need. The grainier the better.

It's our job to keep punk rock elite:bassist:

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Get an anarchy pedal. Those are the best.

Unless you're playing that stuff people think is "punk" nowadays. In that case, I have no idea.

4. shut up ian

5. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005

haha, punk nower days. You are refering to the Fallout boy, greenday,blink 182 revolution? naw hate that haha.

more along the lines of:
    Black flag,
    Lower Class Brats
    Anti Flag
    Cheap Sex
    on and on you no the rest

yeah, my over drive pedal does a nice job.

6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Punk, by definition, is all about minimalism.

A P-Bass into an Ampeg is all you need or really should have. If you want OD, get it naturally from the amp/speakers. Sid Vicious barely knew how to play, but had the attitude.

Oh yeah, and crank the crap outta it.:bassist:

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    But seriously, who wants to f*** up their cabinet? lol Pump the mids and dime the tone knob. You know what to do.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I don't think theres any effects I use for punk other than OD, distortion, and on occasion some compression. But seriously, the best way to get a good punk tone is to turn your amp all the way up.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I love lamp. And Dave.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unless you're seriously EQing all kinds of wrong and pushing your amp too hard, nobody's gonna damage their cabinet if used properly.

For me, I've always found that a passive bass through any GK or Ampeg rig did fine by me. Never really needed a pedal to do punk IMO.

11. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I like a proco RAT for punk but it doesn't matter too much

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    you haven't played punk rock bass until you've played it with the zoom power drive, that pedal is punk in a can

13. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    thanks for all the advice. ill check into it all. Ive got my EQ set up how i like it and have ahd it this way for a few years. I have the mids boosted, lows cut, highs cut and boosted sounds nice with the over drive pedal.

Anyone got any advice for changing up the EQ so i can drive a bit harder?

14. i usually crank my high mids (altho my amp doesn't have a "high mid" knob, i know i do because i can only change mid freqs on the mid control and that's dimed forward) probably low mids too, keep the bass around middle, put treble around 8.......that makes my overdrive sound BRUTAL.....and thick

15. all i need to do to get OD is turn up the volume all the way up on my crap 15 watt fender frontman and there ya go :p

16. peladox

peladox

Aug 3, 2004
    hey dude, im playing in a punk band, also in some rock bands, and in the punk band im only using my bass, i got a boss bass overdrive but in punk i think that its not necesary,in my rocks band im using it in the different chorus and all that stuff.
    well, if you want to play punk like the clash, the ramones and that kind of bands you will not nead an effect, but if you really want and effect and you are playing covers of misfits, green day, i recomend you the boss bass overdrive, you will really have a bass GUITAR ( its pretty cool for bass solos)

17. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    For a good punk EQ sound, I bump my lows, cut the mids just a bit, and raise highs (a less extreme smily face EQ). That sounds good when I'm playing fast passages against one guitar, I'm not sure if it would hang against two but it's worth a shot. I also use a Boss SD-1 (because it was cheap!) that sounds good with a mild low mid-bump on the EQ, but it does cut a little on the low-low end -- though not enough to give me any worry. Play around and don't ignore cheap pedals because it may be all you need do sound nice and nasty...

18. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    haha i have a cheap pedal. Sounds great haha.

19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The only effect you need for punk is volume. Honestly, it makes everything sound better.

Overdrive pedals are for indie rockers and loud/quiet emocore.

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I 100% agree :)