Effects Ideas for Worship

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rumble Thunder, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    I wanted to hear your ideas about the utilization of particular effects in worship songs i.e. Octave pedal sounds killer in the bridge on Unstoppable Love, phase shifter sounds awesome on the chorus of Forever, flange is cool on You Are Good, delay works well in such a such part on such a such tune, etc.
    Sometimes I know it's just a DI and some carrots but maybe a little overdrive would help spice up a tune or reverb might be usedto help support a song.
    What are some creative ideas for the employment of bass effects in worship music?

2. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    I like using chorus and flange for variations in bridges. Specifically, chorus on the bridge of Look How He Lifted Me by Elevation and Flange on the bridge of, "Nailed to the Cross."

Also the song, Blessed Assurance by Elevation screams for autoswells in the first verse and beginning of the vamp.

3. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I like to use OC-2 for 8th/16th synthy notes on certain songs. (You Hold it all, Bigger Than)

Meatbox I’ll use if there’s a good bridge or chorus towards the end of a set on a good epic anthem type song, really adds some chest pounding for those parts.

I’ll use a reverb/delay with a volume pedal to do some volume swell in notes between songs or underneath softer parts that do t need hard attack. Sometimes adding modulation (I like phaser) adds some flavor.

Overdrive I’ll use if we play something that has more upbeat and energy to it, like “Sweetness of Freedom” I’ve even added a fuzz to the bridge as well.

Another bassist here uses a wah to slowly sweep the filter on a bridge or open sounding areas.

Basically play to the song and needs of the moment. Sometimes I don’t use the effects where I normally would because of song placement, flow of service, etc. Just be mindful that it may sound awesome to you but there’s always a bigger picture to pay attention to.

speedball3, FatDadddy, r10 and 4 others like this.
  4. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Cool, I have been toying with idea of utilizing a phase shifter maybe on, "This is Amazing Grace" or "King of My Heart?"

I'm on the fence on overdrive. I used some in rehearsal one night and the drummer looked over and said, "Do you know your bass is distorting?" I said, "Yeah, do you like it?" He simply shrugged and said, "I just didn't know if you knew." Kinda weird so I never really used overdrive again.

The wah thing is intriguing. I need to check that out.

5. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    I use a Sub and Up on the first chorus of Lion and the Lamb. Also , in the bridge. However , I should mention that there is not a synth player currently.
    Almost the exact same thing happened to me. Strange I guess to a non-bassist that there is a such thing as overdrive to bass.

Rumble Thunder likes this.
  6. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Crazy huh? I like a light overdriven touch when building or going for a more aggressive sound.

I really like the octave suggestion for The Lion and the Lamb. I think I'll try that next time we play it. Thanks.

7. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    There is something there in the recording, some kind of fuzz/octave thing.

8. +1

It's so much about sonic space. In my church, using any kind of dirt on bass, ever, is out; it just doesn't fit with our context.

However, playing with an octaver to get a synthy tone, or even using a synth pedal to do some lead for the Hillsong Y&F tunes works really well! We also don't have a synth player - our keyboard players tend to stick to piano+pad.

One thing to bear in mind with this is the space you're leaving behind though - Think about those big moments where you're nailing that killer synth lead line in Only Wanna Sing, the band suddenly doesn't have a bass player any more.

That said, It's always fun when you're doing high-up volume swells with mod/delay and everyone looks over at the keys player... :ninja:

I think there's quite a strong line in the sand between worship music and secular, in that anything that draws too much attention to yourself during a worship set is a bad idea, and kind of missing the point.

That doesn't mean you can't experiment and do fun stuff musically, but sensitivity to the moment, and working well with the rest of the band is key.

Of course, YMMV. ;)

speedball3, Troy Eggen, r10 and 3 others like this.
  9. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Today I used a Wah on the tune, "Alive" by Hillsong Y&F. It was killer! The drummer and keyboard player could not wipe the smile off their face. It was a fun song we played during baptisms so I think it fit the "party" celebration vibe at the end of the service. Wow, who would have thought a Wah pedal would have worked in Worship but sure enough it did. :thumbsup:

adamaarts likes this.
  10. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I went out and got a Future Impact to do synthy stuff, mostly for Y&F tunes and like mentioned, doubling synth parts along with bass guitar parts on Elevation tunes. I have had mixed results. I have a hard time getting good tones, not blowing out with large volume changes, or getting lost in the mix when using the synth.

I got the “you’re breaking up” comment from a guitar player too.

11. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Synth stuff is hard to really nail unless you have a band present to dial in with. As much as you can tweak at home it always needs more when the band is thrown in. Plus it almost always needs a different channel for FOH because it is a different sound and sonic space than bass, so I just opted for a synth keyboard that is separate from my bass rig. But even that still gets the resistance from the band and production sometimes.

dab12ax7ef likes this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have an overdrive - typically used for the opening number, which is usually appropriate for that, but I've worked a lot on getting just the right amount (not much) of overdrive, without low end loss,. just adding a bit of snarl. Getting the right kind of overdrive I found to be VERY difficult - I returned a lot of pedals that didn't do it for me before finding a few that do.

I have a sub n up that i used occasionally, and a TC Corona chorus, which I use sparingly (and hopefully tastefully).

I own a meatbox, but I play without an amp, and the PA's I play through would probably reproduce what it does spectacularly well. I haven't had the guts to try it live yet, and I'd certainly warn the sound guy and try it at rehearsal before using it for a service. I think it'd probably be too much.

13. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Yea the Meatbox is far from subtle. Definitely have the output volume start at very very low and slowly bring it up.

14. Lot of the time guitar players do this but pad sounds are pretty awesome on bass if you swell the volume knob into wide interval chords like tenths. It’s nice way to create a vibe between songs or for song intros. It can Be done a couple of ways. This is a mxr carbon copy run with everything just about wide open and with the modulation button on
    Another way to do this kind of sound slightly differently is with a reverb that has a blend. If you run it 100% wet with no dry signal. Reverbs like the strymon blue sky with the shimmer reverb are VERY nice for pad sounds. The downside of these types of sounds is it becomes a bit difficult to control timing because you can stop playing and it itll keep going. So it’s very difficult to use those types of sounds in the middle of a song or if the other band members don’t listen to the bass.

Here’s a video of a synth bass type sound. I think this is pretty cool.

Rumble Thunder and dukeorock like this.
  15. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Last Sunday I utilized a chorus pedal on the song, "Tremble/Great I Am" in the first chorus. The orchestration is a little sparse so the chorus added a nice texture underneath the belly of the song. Not too much, simply a subtle tone change that added width and depth to undergird the stark vocal. I thought the chorus added a nice touch. I used it again on the same song in the "exhortation" section right before the big build-up.

I also used the chorus on my little four bar solo before the bridge of "Glorious Day." I thought it was cool, not overbearing but it added a tasteful color.

I want to identify some songs and particular places in songs where I could try the Tremolo pedal. Does anyone use a tremolo? What tunes would it enhance? Is that pedal too "freaky deak" for Worship?

16. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    My advice for textural pad bass sounds is to play an octave higher than you would usually choose. This helps the octaver track and stops your speaker coils from melting. It also helps simple 2/3 note chords to ring clear and project better. The wider spaced chords really sound nice (like a root and a 9th). On bass we get really mellow tones when played up high and long sustain too. It sounds great with a light overdrive and a gentle spring or hall reverb. Also I look for effects that have a transparent quality to them. I ask myself...am I hitting the audience with a wall of noise or is there clarity to what I'm playing? I moved away from the Zoom MS-70 CDR (which is amazing unit) to the Eventide H9 for the clarity of reverbs. The Zoom can get pretty clogged up and mushy where as I can put some really strong verbs or delays on my H9 and everything has a clarity to the sound. Eventide and Strymon really do understand this concept well. It allows the output from my H9 to be further effected by other pedals and the signal still stays clear. If you want an amazingly cheap but versatile box, the Zoom is excellent. But to take it up several notches and expand on the control / versatility...then look up a H9. It's a shame Strymon haven't made a single big box like Eventide has. Sure there's things like the Helix, MS-3 and even a Kemper but to keep things small and simple...H9's are my fav (this year)!

17. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    I have a Strymon Mobious and I love it! Big Sky is next.:)

adamaarts and GMC like this.
  18. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    I have a Mobius too, it's REALLY nice. I sandwich mine between a pair of H9's.

19. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Is the H9 fairly user friendly? It seems killer but a sophisticated piece of machinery that I nervously might not be able to operate. :nailbiting::bag: The pedal definitely looks awesome! Plus I have space on my board. :thumbsup:

20. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    Today, I used an envelope filter on the bridge of Only King Forever. I started with a phase shifter which wasn't bad but I wanted a little more funky mojo so I went with tbe filter. It's kind of hilarious because the effect went unnoticed. No biggie because it made me happy and I thought the envelope filter was cool. I'm surprised no one noticed the funky sounds though. Everyone should be focused on Worship and God and not the bass so everything is good just a little surprised is all. It definitely wasn't a distraction so that's really cool. Still looking for a place to use tremolo though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021