Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects in Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paniak17, Jun 8, 2004.

1. This may sound stupid, but all of the Bass Amps I have seen do not have built in effects like guitar amps. Besides EQ's is there any amps with effects built in?

2. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Peavey Bam 2x10 combo is a great amp with built in effects.

Bam Specifications

They also sell the head as a stand alone.

This combo rocks, the effects are real good, especially the phaser. Also, the compressor rivals any I have heard.

3. wow thanks, but anything less than 800?

4. preferably 500 max

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Roland Bass Cube 30.

6. i know im being picky lol but anything bigger than the Roland?

7. why do you want a head with built in effects? heads with effects generally suck cause the company cheaply builds the amp then throws in some effects that are almost completely untweakable to get noobs to buy them.

if you really want some effects crates bfx series is what you want.

8. yeah i guess your right.... :crying:

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut

I disagree. Ashdown makes some great heads, and people rave about their sub-harmonic effect. Also, SWR has a pretty cool sub-harmonizer.

I think Ampeg makes a combo with built in effects.

Ampeg BS-210.

All of these along with the Peavey Bam got very good reviews in Bass Player magazine. I know that may not be a ringing endorsement for some, but not bad either.

Another cool head, which can be had for cheap ($450.00 - 550.00) IMO is the Sunn 1200s. It has a dual tube preamp. Second channell is for distortion. Also has an excellent dual band compressor. Also has 1200 watts of power into 2 Ohms.

I don't know if these features qualify as being effects for you, but distortion and a compressor are two less effects pedals on the board for those of us who use them.

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    +1

Even if the effects are good, what happens when you move to a bigger amp? Standalone efx are always better.

11. good point

12. plus pedals really help for quick on and off without the moving to the amp and turning it off(waisting a lot of time)

13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    The peavy TNT115's have a nice little chorus effect built into them.

The reason we dont get 80 different types of effects in one head is because alot of the time theres no need. How often does a bass player use effects compared to a guitarist? you dont see a bass player running over to his amp after every song trying to change the reverb level, or the mids on his EQ, because it just isnt nesessary. The presence of the bass in a live scene is felt more than it is heard.

A clean, un-effected guitar sounds like a crying little girl, while a clean, un-effect bass sounds like a pissed off rhino.

Thats just my opinion :)