1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects into input vs Effect Send Return

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rekall, Sep 29, 2009.

1. rekall

rekall

Sep 29, 2009
    Hi all

Apologies if this question has been asked before but I was unable to find a suitable anwer in the search.

I am using a passive Cort Bass with a Boss ME-50B pedal into an Ashdown MAG C210T-300 EVO II Combo.

Should I be connecting my bass guitar into the ME-50B and then into the Ashdown active input or should I be connecting my guitar straight to the amp passive input and using the effects send\return on the Ashdown amp for the ME-50B?

The major difference here is that the pedal will now be running post the amp EQ and post the input preamp.

What is considered best or is it merely a matter of preference?

Also will running the ME-50B on the effects send\return allow me greater volume out of the amp since the ME-50B's volume boost will not be restricted by the limitations of the Ashdown's preamp.

Thanks in advance!!

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    The most common and safe thing is to run:
    bass --> ME-50B --> amp instrument input
    (not in the effect loop)
    Effect loop is more for rack gear that works at line level.

But you can test out if the ME-50B works better in the effect loop. No harm in that, use your ears to notice the difference.
    But my advice is to not put it in the effect loop.

Read the manual for the ME-50B.
    I believe it works best at instrument level.
    Althoug some people often get good results with placing an effect pedal that usual runs at instrument level in their amp's effect loop.

3. rekall

rekall

Sep 29, 2009
    Thank Rene for the feedback.

I think my other concern is that certain effects on the pedal drastically change the input level and can run the input meter well into the red.

Am I ever in any real danger of damaging the preamp on my amp by running the input too hot?

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I believe not.
    I don't recall the ME-50B being such a hard beast to tame the level controls on. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

The ME-50B shouldn't have the potential to destroy your amp.

And normally the MAG is a great amp for it's price. Don't know about durability, I played them a lot in my local store but I never owned one.

5. rekall

rekall

Sep 29, 2009
    Thanks Rene

I appreciate the feedback.

Ill try the pedal in the effects loop to see if it offers what Im looking for but otherwise will stick with my current setup.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Effects loops could disappear fromt he face of the earth for all I care. Never heard an effect in a loop that sounded better than plugging it inline.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    +1

8. + 1 more...

9. KaizerWilhelm

KaizerWilhelm

Mar 11, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    + 1 more...more

10. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Generally speaking, the effects loop is only made for rack-mounted effects and processors that run at line (or preamp gain) level. Most effects pedals run at instrument level, even those that add or increase gain such as overdrives, distortions, and fuzz pedals. Running them in the effects loop most likely will not damage anything (however, do not take this as that I am suggesting that you do so) but they are designed to be run off the the bass' output levels. Using such effects in the effects loop may result in clipping of the effect or other side effects.

Honestly, I do not understand the reason that so many combo amps have an effects loop in the first place.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    And again, +1, amen to that, and so forth.

12. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    try both... see what you like. When I played guitar I had a 5150II halfstack and I was playing around with a boss flanger. the flanger was fine through the insrument line but when I put it through the fx loop on the lead channel it was beyond cool.

13. The Ashdown's Effects Send puts out 0dBu nominal. Input for the Boss is -10dBu nominal. Neither has a pad or switch to change operating level.

I don't know if that +10dBu difference would do any damage to your Boss.

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Exactly. Every head I've ever owned has had an effects loop, and I've never used it once.

Of course I've never used effects either. But if I did, I'd just run 'em in-line like I do with my SansAmp.

15. FX loop jack sockets are a very, very common source of problems with amplifiers. A mate of mine who repairs amps will often just bridge the connection with solder, rendering the FX loop jacks completely useless, but fixing the problem permanently.

Nobody has EVER complained that their FX loop has stopped working!

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not really, although in rare cases it can cause overheating or premature tube failure in amps with tubes. But you should absolutely get your effects levels set to where they're close to the level where everything is bypassed (unity gain) because you can easily blow your cab that way.

17. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    + 8

18. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i must be plain dumb. because i 've been allways running my pedals into the effect loop... guess i was trying to do things "the rigth way"...

:meh:

19. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    The guitarist in my band's Boss delay sounds better in the effects loop of his DSL-50.

Other than that...

+1! ;)

20. rekall

rekall

Sep 29, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback!

Looks like this is yet another case where it is mainly a matter of opinion.

I chatted to the tech at the store that I bought the Ashdown amp from and he reckons that the effects loop should work fine and that it really comes down to if I like the sound or not.

Ill give it a bash and see how it works out.