Effects Loop and where to put the DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Mar 9, 2004.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I use BOSS OC2, ODB3 and CE2B (in that order), and currently setup as BASS -> EFFECTS -> AMP.
    Would it sound better if I used the effects loop?
    If yes then where would the DI go in the setup? I want my effects to go to the PA so should the DI go after the effects but before the return on the effects loop, or should I DI from the amps' line out?
  2. oddity_uk

Feb 3, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    You could try the chorus in your effects loop, some people prefer it there. I'd probably keep the octaver where it is to help it track, and the ODB-3 will more than likely sound terrible in the effetcs loops (been there myself!)... What kind of DI do you use? Is it a passive DI that doesn't affect the tone, or is it a preamp like the MXR or Sansamp? If it's the first (and I assume you want the sound of your amp's preamp to go to the PA?) then I would go Bass -> Ocatver -> Overdrive -> Amp Imput -> Amp Send -> Chorus -> DI (also assuming your DI has a normal 1/4 inch out too) -> Amp Return

If its a preamp DI, then you run into problems cos you'd be using two preamps in series, so I'd probably go with Bass -> Octaver -> Overdrive -> Chorus -> DI -> Amp

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Thnaks for the comments. I tend to use whatever DI the sound guy throws at me, which is usually a passive one. I have the 3 pedals in a BOSS BCB3 box and don't want the trouble of splitting them so will stich with the BASS -> EFFECTS -> DI -> AMP setup I think. I like the sound of the P bass straight into the PA so for the larger events my combo just becomes a monitor but I'm happy with that.