Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects loop better to use it or not?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, Aug 11, 2004.

1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I have an effects loop on my amp head and use about 4 stomp box effects. Is there any difference between running the effects through the effects loop and plugging in my bass to my amp's input and plugging my bass into the effect boxes and then the effects output to the input of my amp?
    I just don't know if I use use the effects loop or if I should just run my bass into the effects and then the effects into the input of the amp

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    He uses:
    Spector NS5CRFM Blue Stain Spector NS2000/5 Red Stain Gallien-Kruger 800RB 300W head Hartke 4x10XL Bass Module Hartke 1x15XL Bass Module Boss Bass Chorus CEB-3 Boss Flanger BF-3 Boss Octave OC-3

3. motorhall

motorhall

Jul 1, 2004
    Your stomp boxes are designed to recieve an instrument-level signal. The signal from the effects loop send on your amp would be a line-level signal and is much hotter. Effects loops are typically used for rack mount effects that are designed for line-level signals (such as reverb units, graphic EQ's, etc).

If you use your stomp pedals in the effects loop I would think that you'd have distortion city.

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I was always told to use the time based effects in the effectsloop.
    So the flanger, chorus... (and perhaps other things you might buy in the future like a delay and reverb) put them in the effectsloop. Because it is parallel most of the time (I don't know the specific specs about your amp) those effects come out pretty clean. It is also more practical. The bass signal gets really altered before it goes into your amp.

The octaver is just cool for direct into your amp, because it gives another practical approach to the amp itself.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as far as the time based effects you might want to try them in the loop but it's a good bet that they might end up distorted if the loop is optimized for rack gear/line level
    if i use a flanger or chorus i alwas like to be able to use in in a parallel fx loop that lets me control the amount of processed and unprocessed signal
    bass tends to suffer from these effects (an distortion as well) - the low end usually gets cut and you have this nifty sound that gets lost in the guitars

6. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    My lows don't get lost. I own the EBS chorus and it doesn't loose anything, in fact... it enriches. Some emphasis on the mid-lows, it's really usable. It gives a little distortion by itself too (if I'm right and if it's not done by the preamp itself. I never checked it out, because I like it anyway.)... but the preamp gives a little distortion too (tuby edge) and together with the chorus it just sounds fantastic. In any way you should just try it yourself what you like the most. There are a few golden rules, but it can be so much more of a lesson to check it out for yourself.

To me your sound should a little bit distorted, it gives a lot more dynamics and character then setting everything 100% clean. 'Always living on the tuby edge'. ;)

(Let's say it's comparable with a tube amp on guitar.)

7. With my Boss stompbox pedals it makes no sound difference either way I do it (Ampeg SVT 5 Pro head), but when I use the effects loop I have a footswitch (for the Ampeg itself) that allows me to turn the loop off and on with one click....dont have to dance all over my pedals that way when I want to go to an instant clean signal. Thats the only advantage I see in it though. Ive run everything straight to the input with equal success as well.
    Just my .02.

8. ADuck5150

ADuck5150

Jul 31, 2004
    NJ
    I experimented by using my amps effects loop - everything sounded fine except for my Boss overdrive pedal, which lost a massive amount of bite. So I havent used it since.

9. I use a Laney Richter Series R3 amp. "Spankey" said he can turn his effects loop off and I was wondering what footswitch he uses to do this? and can it be used eith any effects loop?