Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects Loop/Cable question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Razor, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I may have hinted at this question in an earlier post, if so I appologize. I still haven't found a good answer so I am gonna throw this out there. I actually have two questions.
    #1. I am currently using the following setup with both active and passive basses.
    SansAmp DI pedal into the front input of a Line 6 Bass POD Pro. From there I go out into a BBE 362 and then into the front input on a Hartke 7000 head. The head runs into a Goliath 4x10 and Big Bertha 2x15 respectively. My problem is, I am getting really nasty hum. Part of it is probably my cables, which I will be changing out very soon. The other, I think, is from NOT using the effects loop on the Hartke head and basically using the Bass POD Pro and BBE as glorified "pedals" in the configuration I have. Is it better to use the effects loop on all of these units as opposed to the way I currently am using them? I am wanting to plug the SansAmp into the Hartke head and have the POD and BBE simply in the loop of the Hartke. I also am at kinda a loss at how to do this with regard to the POD. It has numerous outputs on the back i.e., "POST" effects send/return and "PRE" effects send/return. It also has what's called a model out and so on. I am thinking.....(bear with me) that I should go:
    *Hartke send into POD post return-
    *POD post send into BBE in-
    *BBE out into Hartke return-
    Going into the post effects on the POD will allow the effects to be used in the overall sound going into the Hartke. This way I could simply plug whichever bass I am using into the SansAmp, run that into the input on the head, and adjust the POD in the loop of the Hartke.
    Thoughts?????
    #2 I am using basic instrument cables to run everything. This includes all of the connections in the back of the rack. Someone suggested I use TRS connections for all of the rack related items due to the fact that they are grounded cables. This makes sense to me and also may alleviate the hum I am hearing. Question is....when/where is it suggested to use/not use TRS cables in a rig? Should these also be used in pedal applications and/or instrument connections?
    Sorry for being so long winded and again, thanks for any info/suggestions you might have for me on this present dilemma.:)

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ummmmm.................anybody??

3. My experiences with the BassPODpro lead me to suggest that you try all of the available possibilities to find the best solution. Choosing the right cable was always part of the delimma with the Bass POD and pro because of the socalled 'intelligent' jacks, imo they lead to more problems than they are worth.
    3 questions
    Why are you using the Hartke front end with the POD instead of a power amp?
    Are you Biamping or running full range to both cabs?
    Do you really just wanna use the Bass POD pro as an efx unit only?

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I am using the Hartke because it's a decent head and right now I'm not in a position to get anything else.
    I am running full range to both cab's. Just sounds better. I tried the Bi-Amp route but it made the 4x10 sound terrible...all highs and distorted.
    Yes, I primarily got the POD Pro to use for effects, and to use the amp emulator. I like the device enough to use for an effects rig but I have come to realize it's true purpose, at least in my opinion, is..
    1. To be used as a pre with a power-amp
    2. To be used primarily as a studio tool.