1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects Loop - DI chain

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by SeSt, May 30, 2016.

1. SeSt

SeSt

Apr 23, 2007
    Rhodes, Greece
    Hello fellow TB!
    So, I've been gigging frequently at this bar with PA support and a sound guy. This place also provides an amp and an active DI box. The problem is that the amp (SWR workingman's 15) must have been heavily used and besides that is kind of low wattage (around 150W I think), so numerous times during the gig I get weird noises and clipping.
    Currently, my chain is bass ---> pedalboard ---> DI ---> PA
    ---> Amp (mostly as monitor)

The amp features an effects loop and my peadlboard contains the Tonehammer preamp/DI, so I am trying to figure out a chain to bypass the amp's preamp in case it's responsible for the clipping. However, I'm not sure, the sound guy will be convinced to use the Tonehammer as a DI.
    I would appreciate any idea.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Try the tonehammer.. and leave their DI out of the loop (pun intended!).
    Go talk to the sound guy... tell him your concerns and that you want to try your DI and see how it works with the SWR - bypassing the preamp.

Go from the "out" on your TH INTO the effects return on the amp.. sending the XLR to FOH.
    It might be enough to drive the SWR amp section.

Unless s/he's a complete a**hat, I don't see how it can hurt to try.
    The sound guy in me would have no issues with being approached with that suggestion...as it doesn't change the FOH feed, only how you monitor.

3. SeSt

SeSt

Apr 23, 2007
    Rhodes, Greece
    Thanks s0c, so this is what you suggest?
    diagram.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    NO!.. should be similar to the wiring of your top pic ... only the DI OUT (on your pedal board - as shown in bottom pic ) goes into amps EFFECTS RETURN jack.. not the amps INPUT jack.

That should give you the same "sonic" outcome as your complete bottom pic - with a lot less confusion.. :)

If you use the SWR's input jack, (ur bottom pic) you are NOT bypassing the pre-amp!!

upload_2016-5-30_11-20-13.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    SeSt likes this.
  5. SeSt

SeSt

Apr 23, 2007
    Rhodes, Greece
    Great! Thank you so much!

6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Note.. I said TRY !!
    Hopefully the DI will have enough OUT level to drive the effects return, which WILL bypass the SWR's pre-amp.

7. SeSt

SeSt

Apr 23, 2007
    Rhodes, Greece
    Fair enough. I will give it a try tomorrow if I make it to the venue early enough ;)

8. SeSt

SeSt

Apr 23, 2007
    Rhodes, Greece
    Update: I didn't want to mess with two things in just one night, so I did use the soundguy's DI but bypassed the amp's preamp by sending the signal to the effects return. It worked great, however I had to dial Tonehammer's master at 02:00 (but kept gain control very very low) to get loud enough. I didn't notice any clipping and I got one or two compliments about my tone, so I guess it was a success.
    Some of these days, I'm gonna try the Tonehammer's DI.
    Thanks s0c9 for your help.

s0c9 likes this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Np on the help.. you're welcome... glad its working for you!