1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects loop dirt with SVT3-Pro

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cheechi, Jan 9, 2017.

1. cheechi

cheechi

Mar 10, 2015
    ok so I have read lots of the reviews on Ovni labs and I know he says if it's pedal shaped it doesn't belong in the effects loop. I get that, and I respect it. Most folks here probably feel pedals belong between the instrument and the amp, which I also agree with. I want to discuss possibly bending these rules some because of simplicity and inexpensive-ness.

My gig amp is an SVT3-Pro. I have in the effects loop a 3132 Alesis comp (Ovni recommended) into a 31 band EQ. I can EQ for the room, keep the 10 band in the amp scooped if I need it I can hit it with a pedal, and the knobs on the amp are more or less set to the same thing all the time.

I want suggestions of a pedal or effect that I can put in that effects loop to give me more SVT sound in this SVT3-Pro. Something like one of the Joyo amp modeling Tech 21 clones, if only they made a VT Bass clone right? Anyways what I'm really missing is the power tube distortion that no pedal going into it has really given me. VMT maybe? I love my b7k but that only goes so far into it, and I like having it set to a different sound than the closest 'svt breakup' sound I can get out of it.

I thought perhaps putting something that can do the range of od-into-distortion in there is going to be the best approximation without an actual SVT. I have a V4 so my frame of reference isn't a true SVT anyway but I also would rather carry the SVT3 than either a V4 or SVT all the time.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The best you can hope for is an approximation, and the VT actually does one of the better ones.

BrentSimons and cheechi like this.
  3. cheechi

cheechi

Mar 10, 2015
    Thanks Jimmy. I was afraid that was the best answer. Would you go with the pedal in the fx loop, the rackmount version in the fx loop, or the rack mount and start shopping for a power amp instead of the SVT3?

4. You could go into the effects return of your SVT 3 thereby bypassing all of the preamp and EQ and turning it into a poweramp?
    Hope this helps,
    Brent

cheechi likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I always run my VTD in line right into the input.

cheechi likes this.
  6. cheechi

cheechi

Mar 10, 2015
    so the vtd approximation/emulation/recreation (i don't want to use the wrong word) is 'more SVT' than the SVT3 is?

In that case maybe I will switch to the Mark VIII if I can get a VT. assuming I do, with the eq options and all in the Mark VIII, would you suggest the VTD over the VT? Do you use the FX loop on your VTD?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No, I don't think it's more SVT than the 3 Pro, but it's pretty good and gives you a whole lot of range of cranked tones. And that's why I got a VTD...you get 6 presets and two channels, and I like to have clean, overdrive, and fuzz on one channel and upright on the other (the other two presets on ch 2 are wild cards I use as needed). And I tried the loop in the VTD once, hated it, and never used it again.

cheechi and BrentSimons like this.
  8. cheechi

cheechi

Mar 10, 2015
    haha ok thanks. I think for clean/od/fuzz I might stick to existing pedals and therefore go with the VT. Neat features but I think for me the knobs will do it.

edit: not sure what keeps happening when I quote and reply. anyway this was supposed to be in my previous reply would have made more sense.
    I think if I were to use an amp just as a power amp I'd be more inclined to make it either a new (to me) all tube power amp, or use my Peavey Mark VIII and keep the Ampeg at home. And I'd likely forego the idea of the effects loop in that case and just put the preamp pedal into the input. However that is a good idea.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017