1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects loop - does it matter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DrVenkman, Mar 16, 2010.

1. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I'm very new to this and curious about the pros and cons of an amp having an effects loop.

Didn't amps all used to be built with no effects loop so all the effects were instead just routed to the instrument in jack? Couldn't you still do just that for an amp with no effects loop? So what's the big advantage to having an effects loop?

Thanks.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Well, I'll tell you this much, they sure have produced a lot of mysterious amp problems with their unused I/O jacks getting grubby. :meh:

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

For pedal-style effects, you're correct; they're just routed between the instrument and the amp input.

Rackmount effects, however, prefer line-level audio. Most send/return jacks provide this higher level signal. (And it's neater to wire up in a rack.)

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    That, and they're handy if you want to just use the preamp, or poweramp sections, or slave one amp off another...

- georgestrings

5. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Effects loop allows you to get a 'clean blend' with pedals that don't have that ability (I believe).

'Clean blend' allows you to mix your effected/non-effected tone, giving you additional tone control.

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Only parallel loops allow that. Many loops are "series", and do not allow blending.

For more info about loops and when/how to use them, check the FAQ linked in my sig. :)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020