Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

effects loop or input level question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by danman, Feb 10, 2005.

1. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    When I plug my effects in after my bass and before my input I have a signifigant signal loss. When I put these effects into the effects loop on my 700rbII I don't experience the same loss in signal. There is much more volume.

Any Ideas?

I would rather use the effects inline instead of the loop because of the ammount of cables I have floating around.

Help please...

danman

2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Are you sure you have 'signal loss' when you have the bass->pedals->amp setup? Most pedals are setup to provide unity gain when engaged and disengaged. It could just be that the effects loop has some extra gain on the send without any attenuation on the return. As long as you can dial in adjustments with the amp controls, I don't think it would be a problem ... except that if there IS extra gain on the effects send you risk driving the pedals into clipping with loud notes from your bass, especially if the pedals are only running of 9V.

Mike

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    A lot of effects have a level control. What I do is plug my bass into a VU meter (actually it's a broken tape deck with 1/4" inputs) turn the controls on full and note the output level. Then I put my effect in and adjust the level of the effect accordingly so that the output is the same.

I will be the first top say this is a real pain in the ass to do but, if you flip on an effect and there is a singificant change in volume you have to scrable to adjust your volume level while playing (not fun).

4. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I play a G&L 2500. The output is really hot. The pedals seem to knock it down a bit. I should mention, too, that this is with all of the pedals off. The level on the effects doesn't do anything with the pedals off.

By the way, prophecybass, every time I look at your avatar I think you are yelling at me.

danman

5. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Not yelling, shouting. ;)

What pedals are you using? Again, no matter the bass you use the pedals shouldn't change the volume of the signal through them either bypassed or engaged. If they do, there could well be something wrong with one or more.

Mike

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Pedals
    Rapco A/B box
    Fender Tuner
    Boss Bass Chorus
    Digitech Synth Wah
    Ibanez el cheapo soundtank tubescreamer
    boss volume pedal.

Thats not shouting.........THIS IS SHOUTING!!

danman

7. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Here's a thought.
    I have the high impedance pedal volume designed for use before effects. Mabye I will try and put this in front of the effects and see if it changes anything.

Thoughts? comments?

danman

8. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Give it a shot. Experimentation with your rig will possibly give you a more immediate and valuable response than posting this time around given the large number of variables involved ... also trying just one effect at a time to see what happens is worthwhile. Are there send and return level controls for your amp? Maybe there is just some volume boost inherent in the send -> return mechanism. If you plug a 1/4" cable between the return and send, do you get the same boost (relative to not having the FX loop engaged at all)? Let us know how you get on ... I can imagine this situation might be a little puzzling and frustrating!

Mike

9. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Its the boss volume pedal. This thing is eating signal. I guess its made for before pedal effects like it says. Well, Time to sell it and get another volume pedal.

Thanks for the help.

danman