Effects loop order....just for me :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by silky smoove, Dec 21, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, lately I've been having some problems with noise in my signal chain. I'm currently using an SWR Workingman's 8004 T/O/P head in to an SWR Workingman's 8x10, primarily with a Modulus Flea 4 (w/Lane Poor MM) and occasionally a Warwick Corvette (w/DiMarzio Model J's and an Aguilar OBP-3). Out of the effects loops I've been using (in this order)

1. BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
    2. DBX 166XL Compressor
    3. DBX 131 31-Band EQ

and then out of the "tuner out" on the head I've been using a Korg DTR-1000.

Is there a better way to run my setup? I set it up this way after reading the manuals for all the devices. The BBE said that it would work best if it came as early as possible in the signal chain, and as I recall it specifically mentioned coming before compressors. The compressor manual suggested that it got put as early in the chain as possible to reduce "spikes" before they hit other gear. The EQ didn't mention anything, so I put it last. The manual for my head suggested plugging directly into the head and using the effects loop for the devices in question. If you follow the logic of the manuals then my reasoning is the "best" (heavy emphasis on the quotes around best). Let me know what everybody thinks.

Thanks in advance

2. I'd go just the reverse: EQ, Comp, Sonic Max.

With the Comp before the EQ, you're eq'ing the compressed signal, adding noise. However, many people say you need to compress 1st. I've always favored compression last, just before the Sonic Max.

Also, that Process knob tends to add upper harmonics and if you're EQ is adding those as well, then you'll hear some hiss.

Hope this helps.
  3. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    That's odd that the manual mentions that, yet in every response from our local BBE guy, says maximizer LAST in the chain for best results...

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the help guys. I posted a similar question in the BBE thread, but haven't checked it yet but I came upon the thought that it could just be the order of things that was causing the noise problem. I'll try rearranging it as you've mentioned and see if I can get some better results. :D