1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

effects loop out or just bass>pedal>amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drewphishes, Apr 2, 2017.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    hey all. First foray into pedals. gonna pick up an envelope filter today on the cheap. is it better to go from my bass to the pedal and then the amp, or should i go bass to amp and then use the effects out and in on the amp for the best result?

i have a fender rumble 100

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Only you will know, after trying both options out.

Personally I never use the effects loop on my amp though.

The difference is that the effects loop will place your pedals after the eq and preamp of your amp, weather you like the sound that gives I can't really answer for the obvious reason that I am not you.

3. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    I don't know if the fx lop will be all that useful for an envelope filter. It's usually stuff like reverbs or delays that lose some of their quality when run through your preamp.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Trying both won't hurt, but envelope filters usually sound better close to the start of the chain.

5. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I've personally never preferred the effects loops on amps.

6. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    cool thanks dudes ill ch-ch-check it out

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The effects loop often comes into its own with moduation and to a lesser extent with delay type effects. Drive, fuzz, and distortion are almost always best up towards the front of your signal chain. And compression all depends. That's usually the hardest to find an optimal position for since it very much depends on how you play snd what you're looking to accomplish effect-wise.

Best use for an effects loop IMO is dropping in a HPF or combo HP/LP filter for dealing with a problematic of boomy room in live situations - or a separate preamp and plugging directly into that. Almost like getting a whole second amp for the cost of a pedal.