Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects Loop Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassist66, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Hey guys, quick question. I was playing around with my new Fender 250 bassman amp today and discovered something strange. My effects (my EH Bassballs and Big Muff) sound great when put in straight through the amp, but they sound terrible when put through the effects loop. For example, when when using my bassballs in the loop, it sounds harsher and more crackly, almost like the signal is broken up. And with the Muff, you have to put the volume all the way up on the pedal in order to match your original signals. Could this be something with EH pedals, or is it just the effects loop in general?

2. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    EH pedals seem to be the issue a lot of times, because they're "super-juiced"!

What kinds of cables are you using; tried different ones?

Tried them separately?

I would say if it sounds better right through the front of your signal, then do it that way.

I know there are some heavy EH users out there that could give you some advice on this, you also might want to see if EH has any recommendations for this like one in front of the other, vise versa.... :meh:

3. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Well having a pedal in your effects loop is placing it AFTER the preamp, and having a pedal between the bass and input is BEFORE preamp so your going to find they will sound differently. Its a matter of taste where you put them.

4. I too just recieved an amp with an effects loop. I've never used one in an amp before but am suprised how it works.
    If I plug my microsynth (or any other effect into the loop, even bypassed) then my overall signal from my bass is dropped, but the really weird part is at that point the controls on my sansamp don't seem to effect the volume much at all. As in when i turn the drive control from 0 to 10 it distorts but barely increases gain, unplug the loop and bang its thunder loud!!
    In the end though I much prefer my EH Microsynth + CS3 in the loop rather than in line to the preamp like i was doing. In the loop the Harmonics have more definition and the pedal sustains better. All in all the effects loop seems to regulate the volume pretty well between pre and post for me.
    :bassist:

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I had a problem sending my Reverb out of my effects loop, so now everything goes in the front end.

Some of this will be because of impedence. Some effects loops are Line-level, which is different than Guitar level. Most effects want to run off of a guitar level input.

True Analog effects (EHX, Fender Reverbs, etc.) are particularly suseptible from these problems.

Digital effects don't seem to be as affected by the impedence issues.

6. ahhh okay thanks. just wondering. i usually put my effects up front, but i just wanted to see if putting them in the loop made it better, which it didn't. yeah, i almost always use analog effects, which makes sense now.