Effects Loop Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mksolid, Aug 22, 2005.

1. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Hello all, I have an Ampeg B1 Combo and I was looking into using the effects loop (as I hear that is what you should do to make the guitar have a direct connection to the amp), so I ran a cable from the "effects send" jack to the input of my first effect, and from the output of my last effect, I ran a cable to the "effects return" jack. I lose an extreme amount of volume when I turn on any effects and I get weird noises. Any idea what is going on here?
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Try the pedals one at a time and see if one of the pedals is causing the problem. Most effects pedals *do not* like being in the effects loop. Some, especially fuzz pedals, will not work in the effects loop.

My rule of thumb is that only rack mount effects should go in the effects loop.
  3. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    thank you. the effects I was trying to use were all pedals (demeter opto comp and pigtronix ep-1)
  4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The effects loop on the B1 is before the master, so there could be a big signal, more than a pedal will take well. They might be distorting due to high signal.

Also, most pedals don't put out a lot of signal, and may not be able to drive the power amp.

Just in case, you might check putting them in the "preamp out/ power amp in" loop, since it is after the master, and level is more controlled. It is just possible that the level may not be too high for them there, although they still may not be able to drive the power amp.

Otherwise, your best way out is probably to move them up to the input.
  5. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Ok cool, will do. I recently emailed Dino too, but I think you beat him to it.