Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects Loop question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, May 12, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    (Adam Corolla voice on)
    "Hey everybody!"

Got a quick question. I think the effects loop on my Hartke 7000 may be out. (Or maybe I don't have a clue how to hook it up). Anyways...what's a quick and easy way to check the loop to see if it's working. I've got tons upon tons of rack effects, pedals...etc.
    Just need to know what to hook to where to be able to tell if it's dead or not.
    Thanks.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Don't put pedals through your effects loop, the voltages are all wrong, only use rack mount, line-level effects.

To test it, just run ONE, and ONLY ONE rack mount effects unit through it, one that you KNOW works. That should tell you right there.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. Use one OBVIOUS effect, something that's easy to hear when it's working. Run one lead from the output of the effect and into the "return" of the effects loop. Then run another lead from the "send" on the loop to the input of the effect.

I didn't know that. I don't run my pedals through the loop for a different reason - the sound guy doesn't get the effected signal.

4. What would happen if you connected a 1/4" cable from the send to the return? anything? is this bad..good, what?
    Thanks.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It would just flow your regular signal in and out through that cable, you wouldn't notice any difference in sound whatsoever.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm guessing it would have the same effect as having your effects plugged in but in by-pass mode.

Question - why do you ask?

7. Oh, no reason. i remeber once we did that with my keyboard players synth and an evil squealing blast of static resulted. Have no idea why that would be.