1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects/Loop question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by patricknorth, Mar 21, 2013.

1. patricknorth

patricknorth

Oct 18, 2007
    I want to combine the sounds of two different distortion pedals. I am not currently able to try anything because I am away from my practice space, so the question I pose to the board is this:

Is there a difference between placing the pedals side by side in the signal chain, and placing each pedal in it's own dedicated loop and mixing the signals using a Boss LS-2.

2. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    There absolutely is. Some dirt boxes stack well (ie in series, one out into the other's in) and some do not. The LS2 is a parallel blender so the two distortion sounds will sit on top of one another to make an entirely different sound instead of one pushing the next which can sometimes yield not-so-great results. Play with it! Parallel blending loves dirt boxes. Make. Heavy. Sounds.

3. patricknorth

patricknorth

Oct 18, 2007
    Awesome! thanks for the input.

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Agreed.

I have a TC Nova Drive which houses separate overdrive and distortion circuits - essentially two pedal in one box. There's a routing button that let's you run OD into dist in series, or dist into OD in series, or OD and dist together in parallel. Each gives wildy different results.

Check out a demo video if you can find one to hear for yourself.

5. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    I run my distortions both ways on my board, one in each loop and also stacked on the main signal... Experimentation will get you everywhere! I will say though that the LS-2 is one of the best things to happen to my board!

6. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Apr 1, 2011
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    Similar here - I run OD on one loop and clean with mids scooped on the other, keeping the mids distorted and lows and highs clean.