Effects loop questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Herkimer, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I have a Hartke 3500 head. I recently picked up a Sansamp RIB and Behringer Ex3200 UtlraFex. I have lots of questions about putting this new gear in line and how the effects loop works.

So if anyone out there knows...

Where does the effects loop in/out sit in line in the amp? Is it before or after the pre-amp? Does my line-in signal basically go into the front and out the loop before anything happens inside the amp?

My amp has a send/return knob. It's set at 12 o'clock. What does it do? It seems to be a blending between effected signal and original - but I'm not entirely sure.

Without appropriate compression and limiting, can I blow my amp with "hot" signal in the loop?

You rack effects guys out there... Help me out!

Thanks in advance.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The effects loop is located after at least one gain stage. Your owner's manual should tell you for sure. If you don't have one check Harke's web site.

It sounds like you have a parallel effects loop (or side chain or whatever it's called). The dry (send) signal is mixed with the wet (return) signal. Works well for delay type effects... turn the knob all the way to return if you just want the effected signal.