1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects loop tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Osobass, Oct 22, 2003.

1. I don't normally use effects with my Fender P through my SWR SuperRedhead, but I'm currently using an Akai Deep Impact SB-1. I keep the SB-1 in the effects loop, but it is normally turned off. I use cheapo 10' long shielded cables in the loop with the Dry/Wet mix nob at 12 o'clock for a 50/50 blend.

With the SB-1 off I've noticed that I get a much better tone with the effects loop set 50/50 versus puting the effects loop to 100% dry or 100% wet. Blended 50/50 the sound seems to be thicker with more bite and a more pleasing high end tone.

How can this be possible? I'm wondering if the wet signal has a slight bit of phase shift that is thickening the sound? I should also mention that the gain increases a bit at the 50/50 position...and that always sounds better.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm thinking this may be a combination of the impedance on the FX loop and the bypassed tone of the SB1. If I remember correctly, the SB1 doesn't have a true bypass, so you signal is still passing through the circuit. Most times you get some high end and low end roll off with non-true bypass pedals, so perhaps what you are getting is a blend of two different tones.