Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects Loop- What is it all about??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spliffnriff, Nov 4, 2003.

1. I have 2 jacks on my amp. 1 is an effects loop in and the other out. I hear people attach their DI box there, or their tuner or their effects box. Could someone splain to me how these would be set up? (i.e. would you need to make the loop for this to work)?
    What would be the benefit over just hooking things up in a chain ending at the amp?
    Thanks.

A

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Some effects are line level (-10 to -20 db) and need to be in the effects loop.
    I.E.: Rackmount items.

Parallel Loops have a Wet/Dry (Blend) pot to mix the loop signal with a bypassed signal.
    Wet=Effects
    Dry=Direct Preamp Signal

Serial Loops do not have the Wet/Dry feature and
    whatever is placed in the loop is 100% "Wet" at all times.

All my stuff is rackmount and therefore goes through the Serial loop.

Stereo Compressor: Channel 1 into Channel 2
    into a Boss Super Effects into a Boss Noise Gate into a BBE 362.

If I require DI, I just tap the XLR out of the Compressor's #2 Channel; keeping the chain intact for the stage rig.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If your amp has an effects blend control, you can add as much or as little effects as you want to your normal bass signal. When you run your effects before the amp all you get is full effects and no clean bass signal. Yes you can also run a tuner or DI from the effects send if needed but most amps have a DI and tuner output now days. It would be helpful to know what amp you are using?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The FX Send (serial loop or parallel on 100% wet) can be used as a line/preamp out and the FX return as a line/poweramp in.