1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects loop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fletz, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I’ve never ever in my 30 yrs of playing used the effects loop on my amps. I am now playing a ged2112 and want to use the a/b guitar feature so thought I’d run the effects through the return/send. Is it me or does this make the effects less noticeable? In fact it sounds like they are blended at 50% no effects. Is that right? Sorry if it’s a dopey question.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Me neither, I dunno, subbed to find out.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It depends on the amp. Some effects loops do have a blend control.

In general, I always run effect into the input. The signal hits the first stage hard and, I think, sounds better. Some effects with a higher line level signal output work well in an effects loop.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I was always told that Rack Effects were made for Effects loops and Pedals were for normal input.

However, It's very cool to experiment especially with Pre-Amps. I like some right into the effects return. IOW, From Bass right into effects return and bypassing the Amps Pre....

5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I've got all kinds of semi noob unanswered questions like this, so I'm subbed too.

I'm just now getting into using a few effects, and the multitude of dials/ combinations/options I'm starting to have in front of me are going to require learning not only how each works separately, but in conjunction, to use them all to their max potential.

6. I am amp head shopping and was noticing models that do and don't have an effects loop. I haven't used them either and was interested in experience out there.

In looking at the Mesa Subway 800 vs 800+, for instance. In this case, the key appears to be that the effects loop places the effects POST AMP EQ (just before Master Volume). So I would imagine this could definitely affect how effects are applied (pre vs post eq).

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Post this exact same question over in the effects forum. Those are some of the most helpful freaks you will encounter here. There are tons of threads addressing which effects people prefer to use in front of the amp and which ones they like in the loop.

The subject is every bit as divisive as flats vs rounds or tort vs anything but tort. But there's some useful information in between the snark..... like every other forum here. :D

catcauphonic and bholder like this.