Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects Loop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scandinavian Gu, Jan 1, 2002.

1. I just recently got an SWR Workingmans 15. I love the amp but I have never been sure what the effects loop is used for and how to use it. COuld someone possibly explain, in a simple way, how this feature is used? Thanks

dan

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I tell you how i use it. In marching band we run 2 amps-one facing judges [front in press box] one facing the rest of the band [field] so i ran a cable from the send to the input of another amp and i could run em both. or if you have effects pedals run the send to the in of your first pedal and run a the out of the last pedal into the return of the amp. I like the effects return of my bass man 200 [dad bought me] and of the carvin pb200 i used for marching band [borrowed from upper classman]. Thats all

3. So if I were to run a lead from "send" into my effects pedal, and then back into the return, I would be able to get those effects. I am thinking like using a stomp box for distortion. I am still kind of confused of what it is used for. I have a hard time comprehending these things sometimes. I just read the whole "ohms" thing and got lost. I will get it eventually.

dan

4. Most efx loops are running at 1 volt for professional signal processors usually rack mount efx. Most efx pedals don't like that much voltage and you could have excessive noise, distortion and even damage your efx.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Stomp boxes are generally designed for use in front of the preamp. The effects loop allows you to insert something between the preamp and power amp. Such as a rack effect (as brad mentioned)

It also allows you to send the preamp's signal to another source or to send a different signal into the power amp stage and bypass the on-board preamp.

Chas

6. Thank you much, that really cleared it up for me. Keep on truckin

dan

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You won't damage them with 1 volt.