Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects Loops?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pdusen, Jan 9, 2005.

1. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Although this is a guitar-inspired question, it is something I should know about. And yes, I did a search.

I was over at my bandmate's house (he's a Rhythm Guitarist), and we were checking out his new amp, a 350 watt peavey (all those watts wasted on a single 12"... at least there's room for extension.)

Built into it is an effects loop. Now as a common practice, he uses our other guitarists Digitech RP50 to switch between Clean and Overdriven, with some other effects. Since the Peavey had an effects loop section (with effects in/out jacks), I thought it would fit into this fine. So we plugged the effects out into the in jack on the digitech, and the effects in into the out jack, and plugged the guitar straight into the amp. Turn on the amp, no sound. Absolutely nothing. We tried switching channels (its a 2-channel) and still got nothing.

Is my understanding of effects loops just wrong? How are they SUPPOSED to work?

2. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    You might have bnot plugged it them into the effects return or send all the way, i did that the other night and was baffled why i couldnt get sound, and then checked the effects loop nd viola, i did not plug it in all the way. Also, you might have plugged them into the wrong imputs, like the send part might have been plugged int othe return output on the effect.