1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

effects messin up my amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lowpro, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Well so start quickly, I've not noticed this till today, I have my Spector/Ibanez ATK basses. I plug into my amp and use my effects loop. I am going thru:

Bass Whammy -> Guyatone BR2 -> Tonebender -> Small Clone -> DD3 -> B43 -> Sonic Stomp.

So tonight I cranked my amp up for jammin' and dude, if I struck a note, or a chord, sometiems i'd just get this clipped flurby note. Sounds aweful. At first I thought I blew my speaker, so I unplugged everything, including my effects loop and just used my bass and amp. No clipping. Threw my effects back into the loop, now there's that clipping (BTW my clipping LED isn't on)

I need to know what effect it could be. I thought it might be my Tonebender. I am going to triage it pedal by pedal but part of me wonders if it might be the series of effects rather than a faulty one. Also thought it might be my bass whammy since ITS clip light goes off, but I've got it bypassed and its volume knob is right next to 0.

Anyone got a clue?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The effects loops of most amps are at "line level", way hotter than the "instrument level" that most pedals were designed for. The result is clipping.

There are exceptions, but generally pedals are designed to go between your bass and your amp.

3. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Hmm, i should try that then...save a cable.

Fixed >.>

BTW...should I get an optostomp or Aphex Punch factory. I don't think I'm up for getting a rackmount anytime soon, though some recommend.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You should've tried that a long time ago.

IME, at least half of your pedals hate the effects loop. :D

5. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

And don't forget to check all of your cables and connections to your pedals. Try re-seating the plugs to each pedal first.

6. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Well, I honestly never thought about the line level thing, though I should have. I wanted to see how it'd sound and I kinda liked it, got more definition out of it. Right now I've got this problem where my bassier notes just eat my treble if im playing chords.

But that's why Im asking about a compressor.

OR! I can try to develop a better technique to mute my bass notes.

Perhaps try both.

/practice

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually this is one case where (generally) technique will work way better than a compressor. Most compressors are "single band", meaning the whole signal is processed together, so if you put out a big spike in the lows, it will trigger a lot of compression, which means the highs get compressed all to hell too, even though they were quieter to begin with. It is described as the compressor "swallowing" the highs when that happens. There are "dual band" and "multi band" comps out there which avoid this problem by processing the lows and highs separately. The Ashdown and EBS are two of the most common dual-band ones. But even with them, improved technique is going to work and sound better overall.

8. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Well I really need to see a technique to fix my problem. most of the time when I run into this problem is really just runnign up the pentatonic scale. Sometimes my bassier notes still ring a bit, so it mixes with the higher notes, kinda muddies it. I want there to be more definition. If there is a better technique, well I need to see it. At first I thought my muting was fine, but it's just these kinda moves that really bites. I hate that mixing of tone >.< it bugs me.

Im guessing I just need to work better on my subtle mutes?