1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects=More Gain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pshep68, May 6, 2010.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Sep 21, 2006
    I am currently switching between a MM HH Stingray and a Fender Amerian Standard Jazz. I love the Stingray tone. It obviously has a higher gain output than the Jazz. However, the Jazz is more comfortable to play. I have arthritis issues and playing the Jazz regularly is easier on my fingers, but I can't get the tone I want. The Jazz sounds so weak compared to the MM. Are there any outboard preamps or effects that you can suggest that will make my Jazz sound closer to a Stingray as far as gain output goes? I plat through a Ampeg 3Pro or 7Pro and a Eden 410XLT.

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Radial Tonebone Bassbone

To be honest with you though,...I've got a Warwick and a Jazz bass and I play my 'Wick with the volume knob rolled off closer to the full volume of the Jazz bass.

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    'sounds so weak' and 'my stingray has a hotter output' are very different concepts.

I doubt your Jazz sounds 'weak'

Get a LPB-1 for your Jazz to boost your signal or a Signal Pad for your Stingray so you can push your amp with your J Bass...or turn your Stingray down.

Hotter output does not better tone make.

4. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Turn the Ampeg pre amp up a little for the JB and down a little for the Stingray.
    Hence why Bass amps need pre amps for adjusting to different instrument levels.

Humbuckers usually sound fatter than single coils as well. Need to EQ amp differently for the JB.

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    'need'?

hmmph.

6. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Or you could get a Boss LS-2 and set different volumes for each bass.

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Any number of pre-amp pedals can beef up your jazz if that's what you want but it's never going to be a Ray. The humbucker's just got a different tone. You might look at a 3 band pre-amp so you can boost your mids some. I think the Aguilar Tone Hammer is pretty flexible but there are many others.