1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

effects newbie ... question re compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pfschim, Jun 12, 2007.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ok, so first off ... I did read a bunch of threads on compression, compressors and compares. But did not quite see what I was looking for.

I have been playing for over 30 years and, aside from the Big Muff and MXR phase stompers I used in the early 70's, I have never been a pedal or effects kind of guy. Too much hassle and too much gunk in the tone for my ears.

So, the problem/question: I play small to medium venues mostly with a Fender Deluxe Active J and a Turner Ren fretless 4 thru a Mesa Walkabout rig. The music is a Jazz, Blues, World-music kind of mix, and while I mostly do fingerstyle, there are places where I need/want to slap/pop on the J. But in the quieter/smaller venues these slap passages really jump out of the mix too hot.

Now, I think what I am after is a clean and simple compressor stomp box like a BBE Opto Stomp or maybe the Aphex Punch Factory to tame the occasional slap spike without messing up the great tone I get from the Walkabout.

Can any of you effects gurus offer suggestions for my situation ? I read in another post that there are many good setting suggestions which I will follow up on after I get some confirmation that a compressor will do what I want in this situation. Please think simple and clean if you offer a reply

Thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Simple and clean, with the ability to actually restrain big spikes from slapping... Demeter. Not the only option, but my first recommendation.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Demeter is my recommendation as well. 2 knobs, couldn't be simpler to use, very lean sound. I love the slap tone I get with my Ray going through it...perfection!

4. The Demeter is a great unit. You could try going budget with the *pardon the curse word* Behringer Composer Pro- it's one of the things they have that works pretty well.
    If budget isn't a consideration, or you're patient enough to save up, DBX compressors are top notch, and still spec'd by a lot of touring engineers/musicians to this day. (The DBX 166 XL is a fave, and is really simple to use, but forgiving if you do manage to mess the settings).

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021