Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects noob, what do you think of this for starters?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jiant., Mar 7, 2006.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    So I've been getting into a lot of weird ambient music lately, and I want to try to make some of my own stuff, so I thought I'd try some effects. Here's what I'm thinking for now... Big Muff, Small Stone and Line 6 Delay Modeler. Any suggestions on this stuff? I hope to have the BM & SS within a month or so and hpefully the Line 6 by summer. Thanks guys and God Bless.

2. paulodumb

paulodumb

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    I'd suggest something like a bass v-amp to start. I'm a cheapass, though, so cheap multi-fx boxes are how I roll. If you've got the $$, go with the big guns. Those units you listed are pretty respectable.

3. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Ambient..Delay is a must. I do alot of ambient things with my setup of alot of distortion and delay pedals. I have no experiance with the Small stone never really got into the modulation effects. But as far as your delay and Muff (I suggest going for the USA over Russian, I hated the russian but love my USA) goes I would give it a thumbs up.

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, I'm going to go for the NYC version. What all do you use in your setup, Ron? (I'm not going to copy, just curious.)

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I disagree.

Unless you are going with an early triangle knob USA, go with any of the Version 1-5 Russian Muffs, but not the current black cased ones. The Green Russian Muffs are great and reasonable priced for what the tone you get. For earlier ones, the blue/grey or green/greys will be a bit more.

[​IMG]

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    More than happy to answer.

I run 3 distortions (dist, od, fuzz)
    an octaver
    2 delays
    and a wah

The signal goes something like this

Bass > AB/Y box (A goes to effects, B goes to clean amp) > Loooper (has Boss NS-2 noise Suppresor with a Electro Harmonix POG running into a Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor) > HAO Rust Ride > EH Big Muff Pi > 70's Morley Wah/Volume > Digitech Digidelay > Boss DD-20 Gigadelay (with the FS-5U footswitch for easy tap tempo whenver I want) > Aphex Bass Xciter (to boost my signal from all the effects)

I use the two delay pedals together for walls of echos or seperatly by playing a riff with the digidelay into the DD-20 and looping it.

If you follow that awesome if not I have a couple pictures of
    my board in the "Post you Board Thread" it's on page 81 about the middle of the page (I was trying to find a way to link it, but it would just open the thread)

7. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL

You also have to take into to concideration he is new to effects, so buying a new Muff would be more likely than shopping for a vitage one (especially if $$$ is a factor).

So I completely agree that vintage muffs are superior to current muffs, but in the relm of new muffs I stand by the USA over Russian.

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I agree with this.

A new NYC Big Muff is about $80.00 shipped. It has the advantage of a true bypass switch, a power adapter plug and metal input/output jacks. You also get a warranty and the peice of mind of not having to deal with the hassles of some vintage effects. They are inferior in sound to the Green Russians, but these are big advantages to a new person to effect.

On average, a V5 Green Russian is going for $105.00, so not much money saving there.

I only will for a person that is new to effects. Unless you get a triange knob or ealy 3034 70's Muff's, the Older Russains sound better.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Delay delay delay delay, and a looping device like the Boomerang or JamMan. Many digital delays (including the Line 6) also offer looping, but it is still worth your while to have both functions simultaneously. Also, a good flanger (see the flanger thread now running) is an instant psychedelicizer, especially in conjunction with the delay.

10. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    So is an AB/Y box necessary, or is that just there to quickly return to clean without turning everything off?

11. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    There are other ways, but:

Go to any message you've posted on TB, click your name and go to "Find all posts by Ron Now". Page through the list until you find the exact message you want to refer to. If you click the link for your message, it will take you to the correct page in the thread and center the browser directly over your message (if it's capable of it -- some older browsers aren't).

So, if you "copy link location" instead (or Ctrl-V it from the address bar), you can then paste that right into a message.

Hope that helps,
    'rick

12. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Agreed, but you may want to look at phasers as well (my fav is the MXR Phase 90). Also, E-Bows are very handy for trippy ambient stuff.

13. Buy the Bass V-AMP it's got all the effects you are going to need at the beginning and it's cheap.

14. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL

The AB/Y is not necessary for everyone, I run both amps all the time so I have a constant clean signal running with all my effects (it helps keep low end intact as well as providing better note deffinition with all the distortion I use).

So you do not need the AB/Y but I like having it because it keeps the original bass in the mix.

15. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  16. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Nah, don't :p. One of my guitarist's greatest regrets is ever getting a multi-fx, he ended up getting pedals anyway because he wasn't happy with the effects.

17. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i think a russian Big muff would be good to start. A DI might be good also for some minor tone shaping

18. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Is there a big difference between the Russian Muff and the NYC one?

19. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    The price(russian is cheaper), and personnally think the russian sounds better on bass. My preferance.

20. for ambient music, i find that i use a lot of spacial, time-based and modulation effects, like reverb, delay and chorus. I would suggest something along those lines, I don't know if you are herribly interested, but here is a song i've been working on that is of the ambient persuasion, i am sure if i am done with it, but just for reference, i used my bass with a delay with chorus into a big reverb for the bass swells and the other sounds, i also used a synth for the low swells, that would be below open E
    http://rapidshare.de/files/15203716/Concave.mp3.html