Effects of cold weather on music gear?.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Dec 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    SO the band lost our practice space in a basement. We have not been able to rehearse for about 3 weeks now.

We don't have many options right now. We do have a storage unit the band used to practice in by my place that is ok with the band coming back and it's cheap. Between the two bands that will use the space being that two of the band members are in both bands it will only be 20 dollars per three months. it's 120.00 for three months if you pay three months at a time rather then month to month.

This is in Eastern Washington and it gets cold here. It's been 15 to 20 degrees at night and right now it's 39 degrees out. It can get down to ZERO easily.

We know we can't leave the heads in the space but as luck would have it my place it a mere 150 yards from the unit we would be in. I can take the three heads back and forth and store in my home. We would have to leave the cabs and the drum set. They did this before and said there was no apparent damage but I wanted to ask what anyone else might know they did not know or learn yet. Not an ideal situation but we might not have any other option for about 6 months till a couple of members who are in the market for a new rental or a home buy make the move on it.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Why not leave the heads? I do all the time no prob. All my PA power amps and powered cabs too...

3. My cabs and solid state heads have been living in band trailers or in the cap on the back of my P.U truck for over 6 years now. No problems from any of them. I do bring my Tube head in but more out of concern for moisture than temps.

4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Why not get a small space heater to leave on in the unit to keep it from getting to extremes?
    It will keep the temp up and the humidity down, but where you are humidity probably isn't a problem.

5. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    One amp is tube, we can't leave a space heater as there is no power but running a cord from the office. So cold is fine on all but tube amps?

6. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Just let things warm up before you start hitting them with a ton of power. Don't forget that touring company gear lives on trailers all over the world, year round.

Lonnybass

7. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I've been heating my personal practice space by leaving multiple amps running, exhausting heat. But I'm in California so I don't think it'll work for you

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021