Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects of good tuners on sound?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by odie, Mar 26, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Will different sets of tuners vary the sound of an instrument?? I can see the effect of a bridge. But Ive heard people argue that tuners will have an effect other than staying in tune.

Any opinions??

2. yep

same as the bridge..

Good solid tuner = good resonance = full sound
    Cheap crappy tuners = bad resonance = bah sound

the more mass your tuner or bridge has, the better it wil conduct the vibration of the string into the wood, resulting in a fuller sound.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't think that tuners affect the tone in a noticeable way.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "the more mass your tuner or bridge has, the better it wil conduct the vibration of the string into the wood, resulting in a fuller sound."

I would think that the opposite is true.

If the string is vibrating the bridge or tuners, more mass would equal less vibration into the wood.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If your ears can distinguish the same model bass with top notch tuners from one with generic tuners, please call the Air Force so you can replace their radar.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Seems to me that the only real reasons you should get some new tuners is if the old ones are (here comes the list function!)
    • Too heavy and causing neck dive. That's where light weight tuners come in. I have yet to hear of this happening personally, but some have mentioned it.
    • There is noticeable slippage.
    • You want tuners with a higher ratio/locks.

So ends the list. :)

7. did it, done that, been there.. even got the t-shirt..

unfortunately.. due to extreme import/export regulations at LA airport.. the guys at the customs-office wouldn't let me take the shirt home :(

8. You got as far as them giving you a t-shirt? wow..... lol

:D:D

Merls

9. yeah.. it was a cool t-shirt too

it said " My ears protect your airspace " :D

10. IMO a tuner will not have an effect on tone simply because the nut should be an effective termination of string vibration. Everything mounted after the nut will see minimal string vibration, if any at all.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

All right thats what I was wondering. Ive heard people say that a high mass bridge will increase sustain. But Ive wondered if the same applied to tuners.

Thanx guys!!

Allodox- you should maybe work as an engineer in a studio if your ears are that good!!! It might be more fun than the Air Force :)

12. no ****...

if you have a cheap'o squier, and put other tuners on it, it will sound differently..

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've yet to hear proof of that...

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

that's kinda what was going through my mind

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

or maybe join the navy and become a sonar technician...heck, become the sonar dome/hull/towed array itself...keep the sea lanes open, establish forward presence...that sort of thing :D you could become the united states' most powerful hydrophone...get paid for it too :rolleyes: :D

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, you could see the world too...i know this from experience...i've seen france, spain, puerto rico, gibraltar, scotland, ireland, england, iceland, greenland, nova scotia and several other countries from the hull of a submerged submarine....they all looked the same...like black metal :D hee hee

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i got some wierd looks here when I suddenly burst into a fit of laughter on that one.

I totally agree, good tuners or cheap tuners wont affect your sound. At least nothing that you will notice. They'll just affect how well your bass holds tune.

18. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I agree that you wont hear a difference between cheap and high quality tuners.

I do, however, believe that you will hear a noticeable difference between a light, low mass tuner or bridge and a heavy, high mass, counterpart.

I can't recall the name of the gizmo that you clamp on the headstock to eliminate dead spots. It is only adding mass and weight to the headstock and it definitely affects sustain. Seems the same as adding tuner weight to me.

Play a note on your bass and hold the end of the headstock firmly against a solid wall and the sustain is much longer than a headstock in free air.

If the body or neck are vibrating from the energy of the strings vibration, a certain amount of energy is wasted in moving wood. In other words, a damping effect.

Look at the massiveness and ridgitity in a piano sound board. The harp, or the equivelant of a guitar bridge is huge and heavy in comparison.
    Much , much more sustain than a guitar.

There seems to be a lot of room for experimenting.

19. Yeah, it's kind of a catch-22 - A high mass termination point is necessary for sustain and clear tone, but with high mass comes weight and that's precisely what you don't want on the headstock of your bass.

I sort of think that there's a point of diminishing return when it comes to weight - heavier or lighter.

20. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "I sort of think that there's a point of diminishing return when it comes to weight - heavier or lighter"

I definitely agree with that statement. It seems that most design, as well as setup work consists of compromises.

Oh well, I guess that's what makes it fun.