Effects of low frequencies on heart devices?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman1185, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I've heard that low frequencies can really screw up pacemakers and other heart-related devices. I've played in a couple of nursing homes, and I play regularly at church (we have a lot of elderly people at my church) and I have to think that it would really stink to kill somebody because I was a little too loud. Does anyone know about this?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I don't know about the heart, but I heard that ultra low frequencies can induce bowel movements. :D
  3. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Well....... I think if you are playing and nobody´s getting at least a headache, then you need more volume... :):D
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My uncle (five years older than me, more like a brother) has always wanted to mount a 15" speaker in the end of a 6 foot piece of PVC sewer pipe, drive it with a big head, and see if he can knock people over using it as a "sonic bazooka". (He saw the movie "Scanners" a few too many times.) Every time he brings it up, I ask his doctor to increase his lithium dosage...
  5. Low Frequencies will:
    drive out vermin,
    induce labor,
    make beer go flat,
    have groupies fall in love,
    stimulate bowel movements,
    some ear bleeding,
    cause richter scale activity,
    irritate barkeeps,
    make booties shake,
    and attract all manner of law enforcement, but
    I've never heard of it causing heart problems yet. What I have heard, however, is TURN IT DOWN!
  6. That would be amizing!!!!!!!!!!!! you could play different notes to shoot out different power shots. Personaly i would use a small diameter pipe, then the blast would be more concentrated. That would be great. I think it's possible
  7. heheh, cool !

so if i turn my amp up real high and do some speed-slapping, some dude with a pacemaker will start to breakdance ?

:D !!
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :D :D :D
  9. Ok, i heard, i only heard so don't shoot the messenger, but there was a dude with a thumping phat car stereo. He was driving along with mates no doubt, and the hardcore bass took over the rhythm of his heart beat, so likewise when he got out the car he dropped dead.

10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    no, but someone may hack off your thumb.

I've played in front of some elderly people, they didn't seem like they were having coronaries.
  11. Hell, I'm in trouble. I dont have a pacemaker, but I do take heart medication.....and I looooove my B string!
  12. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Alright, let us clarify one thing. I think bassman1185 is confused with the terminology - there are different sorts of "low frequencies". Bassists like us deal with low frequency sound - the range that we play in even if you go down to the lowest note will have NO effect on pacemakers.

The type of low frequency that affects pacemakers and other electrical devices are electric and magnetic low frequencies - these frequencies are known as ELF or "extremely low frequencies".

An excerpt from the World Health Organization site:

"EMF Interference

Strong ELF fields cause electromagnetic interference (EMI) in cardiac pacemakers or other implanted electromedical devices. Individuals using these devices should contact their doctor to determine their susceptibility to these effects. WHO urges manufacturers of these devices to make them much less susceptible to EMI."

The link is here:

WHO website about ELF

Other links of interest about ELF:

International Programme of Chemical Safety Site

National Health and Occupational Safety Commission of Australia

So feel safe that as a bassist, the only way you would kill an elderly person is if you play really bad music, or hit them on the head with your bass. :)
  13. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I second that.

14. In the village where I live there is a guy who owns a van with a massive sound system. He uses it for competitions and stuff like that. It seems that he was in the top 5 loudest vehicles in Ontario. Anyway, when he really cranks up the volume he says that your heart will try to synchronize itself to the bass. And if he cuts the music too fast you could die. So he has to turn it down gradually. But then again he could just be full of **** and he's trying to impress people.
  15. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Without going into alot of physiological hooha, he is full of it!!

16. Thank you, Bass Guitar, for the one useful reply I got to this post. :D
  17. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    You're welcome. The medical bill is on the way. Special discount for Talkbass members... ;)
  18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    If what I posted wasn't useful, I don't know what is. :p
  19. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Not "could be"; "is". IMO that crap should be illegal and the dudes making that level of noise in residential areas should serve time. But that's another subject...
    - Mike
  20. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    HMMMMM... I wonder if I should take that personally?

Mike:rolleyes: :p