Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

effects on a budget

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marzer, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    I have about 200 to spend on effects/pedals. I was thinking a wah-wah would be good but If it's a single pedal or with a processor doesn't matter.

The best would be a processor with a tuner, and then a wah wah pedal seperate, but I don't know if it's possible :(

2. samedaymusic.com has a morley wah on sale now for $100...

I was just looking at it like 1/2 hour ago...

3. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    any other opinions?

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    you could pick up an me-50b which has the tuner and heaps of other effects available and has a built in expression pedal to control the wah effects. i thought the wah sounds were pretty good.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It was close between the Morley and the Dunlop for me but the funkier Morley with its "switchless" operation won me over.

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    +1

Some great starter effects would be a chorus (Boss CEB-3 is a good one) and even though it may not seem too exciting, a compressor. If you have some left over, the wah would be nice, as would a nice fuzz like a Big Muff Pi.

8. Shop Ebay...I just bought a DOD FX97(Bass Grunge) and a DOD Tuna for less than 40.00 shipped....I've also gotta get me a compressor(Which isn't all that exciting, but if you play a variety of music, you'll need it at some point) And I'm gonna get a morley PBA-2 Dual Wah(Traditional and Funk) I've tried the Dunlops and the Morley Bad horsie...And I've heard(live) a PBA2, that's the one for me....I'll probably end up picking up a Chorus or a Phaser....Any of those are a good start, but with 200 and Ebay, you'll get a lot out of your money...you can get a powered board for $50With a nice softshell briefstyle case....

Just my .02
    DWB

9. if your shopping one a budget then i suggest you check out anything by lovetone. Decent stuff for quite cheap.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very true. A Big Muff is a must on my pedalboard, and other than that, it varies. I like having a flanger, chorus, wah and distortion at all times.

However, I started with a Boss ODB-3, sold it, bought an Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo, sold that and bought my Big Muff eventually. Haven't looked back yet.

11. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree with xan on the ME-50B. You could probably get one used for $200. Includes tuner, compressors, wah, chorus, phaser, delay, OD, etc. Some of the effects are kind of lame, but some are very good.

If you're going for single pedals, you might want to look into a chorus. I got my Danelectro Cool Cat off the 'bay for $39, including shipping -- this is the old 18 volt pedal. Couldn't be happier. Even on the most subtle setting, it gives my Jazz a very sweet sound.