1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects on board but not used live

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by keatz, Nov 22, 2018.

1. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    So how many of you guys have pedals on your board that you are very likely to never utilize in your band, but are fun effects for home?
    I was planning to make my pedalboard a "live use only" layout but then i went and got a mastotron clone built for me that i like, but dont really see fitting my bands sound, and now im even thinking of getting an octave to pair with it, even though I dont really see a use for that in the band either...... Is this normal? Haha

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Absolutely normal and encouraged here. If the clone is anything like the original it'll sound phenomenal with an octave before it.

sillyfabe and Nunovsky like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    images(2).

CameronJohnson and Robertron like this.
  4. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Mine are more in the category of "rarely used." Octaves, filters and overdrive have become close to essential. Admittedly, I could do all my gigs sans pedals. But I would miss those three. The compressor is always on.

Phasers and other modulations get the least love during gigs while really digging them at home. Others (tremolo and delay) just lost their spots completely and are on a shelf in my den.

5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have a few — envelope filter, reverb, phaser — that rarely see live use, if at all. I keep trying to boot them, but they’re just too much fun.

6. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    I guess it really depends on what you need. Most bands that I've played with don't require anything other than a good, solid backline and no special effects so I've never needed a pedal board. My initial desire for a board was to help approximate amplifier behavior for recording (that, and I've always desired to experiment). I put together a small board for tone purposes only and now see that I may be able to use it for certain live performances. I've already used it when going direct to the PA for a duo and will try it with my acoustic guitar bass when I play in a blues roots trio in the next few weeks.
    0C905333-0216-424C-89CB-2CD070977823.

cosmicevan, Robertron and alack like this.
  7. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    If it's on the board it's for use live

IMG_0943.JPG

cosmicevan likes this.
  8. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    Mee too

If it's in the board it's for live use.

9. 590090C2-0702-45F2-B1D7-DA6E78D85E08. I keep trying to use all effects on my board but sometimes that’s hard in metal... I’ve managed to do it though mostly combining multiple pedals for one intro section or bridge section though... realistically I could probably just use my overdrive and tuner but it would be a bit boring in parts.

Blu bro, cosmicevan and Robertron like this.