Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects on H.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes- a Justin Chancellor/Tool question.

I am assuming the distortion on the bass at the beginning of "H." is his Lovetone Brown Source?

Can anyone confirm this?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Nope, it's a Proco Rat. :)

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Naw- I think if not the Brown Source, then that leaves the SansAmp BDDI (unlikely) or the Colorsound Tonebender Fuzz (which was the other likely candidate).

But, not meaning to dismiss what you are saying off hand, but where did you get this information?

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The only distortion pedal he used back in the AEnima days was a Rat according to everything i've read.

Tbirdbassist could chime in and back me up.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Cool...danke.

6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just located a killer interview with Chancellor in all things...a word doc format! I don't know if I can post the entire thing legally so I won't, but it confirms his recording using the following:

"a ProCo Rat distortion pedal, SansAmp Bass Driver DI, DigiTech Bass Whammy, and Boss EQ, Chorus, Flanger and Delay pedals. He uses Monster Cable for all connections."

[taken from: “Handy Man: How Justin Chancellor Frames Tool’s Metal Madness,” May 2001 Bass Player By Scott Shiraki & E.E. Bradman]

I just don't hear the ProCo driving that kind of tone, so I'm wondering if he combined it with the SanAmp.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Dude can you send me that article?!?! :hyper:

To my understanding, he didn't use a BDDI back in the AEnima days, so that's why I was saying it's just a Rat.

8. Me tooo!

9. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    The only sansamp he has seems to be the GT-2 (Am I right??

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    PM me your e-mail fellows, and I'll send it.

11. Nice find. Saving this one.

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Now keep in mind, I don't doubt the solidity of that article, however, he may've been using quite a bit more than he (or his tech/roadie) would admit.

However, it is interesting. I remember when that article was first published, good read again.

Thanks.