Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects on Metallica - For Whom the Bell tolls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joiner, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Does anyone of you know if Jason Newsted uses Distortion and Wah or Flanger ? I always thought it would be flanger only.

2. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    im pretty sure its a wah, i think jason uses a morley wah, but i have no clue what wah cliff used.

3. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Jason uses distortion and a morley wah. Cliff also used a morley wah, but not on that one. I'm pretty sure he just used distortion.

4. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I think They both use wah and distortion, but it isn't swept back and forth, it is kept all the way forward (i think thats the treble side but I could be wrong). Cliff used a morley power wah boost, which I think is an older model of morley's. Jason uses an EH big muff (the original one) and I can pretty closely mimic that with my reissue big muff. A flanger would be more of a swirly effect i think.

5. If you want Cliff Burton's sound, get a hold of an old Morely fuzz-wah. The old big boxy chrome one. It had two switches, one to turn on the fuzz circuit and one to turn the wah on and off. With the wah off it is just a volume pedal. My brother has one and I'll tell you the sound of my Rickenbacker through it matched exactly. Listen to Anesthesia/Pulling Teeth for it.