Effects on Upright Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tww001, May 26, 2004.

1. tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    Just out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone has ever ran their upright through some kind of effect, distortion, delay, envelope filter, wah, anything. Any interesting stories about the outcome?
  2. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Yes, all of those + tremolo, it's fun. you can really get some out of this world sounds that not even a synth can get.
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The thing is even without electronic the range and diversity of sounds you can get out of a bass is amazing. You can add your voice too. You could check this CD for instance.
  4. There is a thread on this subject somewhere else. Dan Berglund of the Esbjorn Svenson Trio puts his bass through a line 6 pod with moderation, often arco as well. Yep, and the results are amazing, when done musically of course.
  5. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    I heard Donovan Stokes, who teaches at ISU, give a perfomance using one of those old Lexicon delays that allows you to "layer" sound snippets on top of one another (kind of like Jaco's "Slang" solo from 8:30). He got a groove going using different percussive sounds and stopped notes, then improvised on top of it using the bow with a distortion pedal. The effect was very cool.
  6. Perplexer

Sep 2, 2003
    I remeber that thread having a lot of purists ask, why would you play an acoustic instrument like the bass through all those effects? I understand that, but there are alot of things you can do with the DB and FX that you can't do in any other way with any other insturment. try using a bow with the harmonics in the upper register. truly amazing sounds.

I think it shows the versitility of the instrument that much more. there is a time and place for it.
  7. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Christian McBride uses a wha-wha during his shows. I recall last summer he was truly annoyed when the pedal didn't work, and his crew was unable to figure out why. Later, I asked him if he uses the wha during his electric set, or this acoustic. He replied "both".

He may use other effects, as well. I saw some other stomp boxes on the floor, but standing below the stage at eye level, it was hard to see what they did.
  8. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I have used my Line 6 DL4 with my upright. My high school big band play an arrangement of bass folk song and I played the melody free time with it on at the top. I liked it and so did a lot of others so I guess I did it right. I frequent the bedroom upright with effects jams with my self, but I always end up with too many on to sound good.
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    There's a big band arrangement of Bass Folk Song?!
  10. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Chris Wood from Medeski, Martin, and Wood uses effects a lot on upright, and very musically too.
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Tony Levin plays with alot of FX on his EUB. It's pretty fantastic stuff, especially with BLS and ProjeKct 4.
  12. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    There is most definately a Big Band arrangement of bass folk song. It may be out of print, but I will ask my dierctor for the arranger if you care to know. It was very well done.
  13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Well, I don't have a big band handy, but thanks. I'm curious to see who arranged it.
  14. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I have used them in the past. (Env. filters, delay, DL4, reverb, etc.)
    There is a Keith Jarrett record from the early 70's with Charlie Haden and he uses a wah-wah pedal with distortion on a song called "Mortgage on my Soul." It is a great bassline. Kind of evil sounding. It is funny to hear someone with such a pure tone like Charlie deconstruct his sound like that.
  15. Pmon

Jun 9, 2004

i'm a jazz double bassist from Leeds, UK and have just been booked to play a session for a hip hop track. I'm thinking about using some effects, both for the studio and for the live work.

Can anyone reccomend any decent units that cover the range of the bass. My current set up is a 1870 Unknown East German Upright with a Realist pick up and 'Golden Bullet' mic all going into an acoustic image coda to house system (live)

Any ideas. I'm after some really interesting sounds, as well as squelch, distortion et al.

Any ideas?

Best Wishes

16. You could always try some tricks with the bow; try harmonics and glissandi; whale-like noises and mournful squeals and squeaks; just use your imagination! The Bow is your friend ;)

Hope this helps -

- Wil