Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

effects or preamps or sth else out of a jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassit, Sep 15, 2005.

1. bassit

bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    If I get a jazz bass, for example : a standard fender jazz.
    I want to know what kind of device can help the bass to give growl or heavey metal sounds like?
    I guess i will buy an additional compressor or EQ to do that, how about your experience? thanks in advance!

2. so... what, you want a preamp sort of thing, or a distortion/overdrive/fuzz (heavy metal sounds???)..... or both?

either way, probably a topic for the effects forum.

Not that I can speak to expertly on the subject... but for my fuzz needs I use a big muff pi... which I bought simply on the fact that it gets pretty rave reviews around here... but I found that it pretty much sucks out all the low end sound of your bass, so I also bought a boss line switcher to mix the wet/dry signals... its pretty good for heavy metal, from crunchy notes to full blown fuzz where you lose all articulation of your notes... though you might wanna try a few different ones out before you decide... this is the first and only fuzz pedal i've owned, but I like it so I haven't changed it yet

As far as the widely accepted definition of growl is concerned... people will tell you to favour the bridge pickup (how much is up to you really) and/or play closer to the bridge...

Of course you could also look at an outboard preamp.... like, a Sadowsky... but I'm basing that solely on things ive read around here (im going to get one myself)... not on experience...

Your mileage may vary

3. Fulltone Bass Drive. use in comp cut, and dial in the drive.

You will get some of the most usable grindy tones ever!