1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects order by impedance

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lifer_, Mar 29, 2015.

1. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    So guys, I've tried to figure it out by myself but failed at some point. I'm rearranging my pedalboard recently adding B3K and Swollen Pickle to my old and beloved Hartke VXL. Wanted to have a little bit more grit in my tone and then to switch to a hard fuzz. The chain now goes SP>MXR 10 EQ>B3K>Hartke and I'm pretty happy with it. After couple of days I'm planning to add Boss LS-2 and to put in a loop the SW and the EQ and leaving the other two like "always on". The idea is to have more control on this "wild thing". ;)
    Now to the point. I first thought that the "right" way to go with the order was Hartke>B3K>Loop>SW>MXR. It seemed logical but didn't like the sound of it at all. I know about the matching impedance, but I couldn't find any specs for the input and output impedance of Hartke and B3K. To be easier:

Boss LS-2: In - 1M, Out - 1k
    WH SP: In - >36k, Out - <26k
    MXR EQ: In - 470k, Out - 5k

My bass have PJ Barts and active\passive switch but I prefer and use the passive configuration.
    I don't have the looper at the moment and I'm not sure how exactly gonna use it. Like blender or just a loop switch.

Of course "what sound good for me" is the way to go but still curious how things work in theory and in real life.

Waiting to hear your answers and opinions! :)

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think the only place impedance might noticeably affect the tone is the connection between a passive bass and the first effect in the chain, after that it's more a matter of how one effect interacts with another sound wise. Maybe you'd be helped by adding a good buffer as the first step in the effects chain.

3. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    Ok, so maybe this is the reason why I didn't liked what I heared in a first place.
    The thing that I forgot to mention is that i have to put a tuner (korg pitchblack) in front which is true bypass and volume pedal DVP1 out of the pedalboar, first in the chain (don't have enough space).
    My question is do you think that LS-2 will be fine for buffering the signal?

4. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You can only try ... but I think it could at least make the sound more consistent between bypass and effects on, compared to using true bypass effects. Whether you like what the LS-2 does to the sound ... no guarantees. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  5. LS-2 has buffered bypass. It is not bad. I haven't loved it every time I've used it, but I also didn't love every other pedal in the equation either. If you already have one, just try it out.

lifer_ likes this.
  6. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    And I will. Gonna purchase it tomorrow and conect all together. We'll see do I need a buffer or I will be fine with the LS-2. If not I think there will be enough place to put one. Thanks!

7. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The Ls-2 is buffered, so in that regard you don't need a separate buffer if the LS-2 is first in the chain.

jasonmitsch likes this.
  8. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    Yep, that's exactly what I am thinking. If it works will save me some precious space that I can use for a fun pedal. :D

FretNoMore likes this.