1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects Order for Electric/String Bass Doubling Rig

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Touch, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Hi,

I double on upright and electric. What do you think of this effect order?

1. Fdeck (Francis Deck) HPF-Pre (High pass filter/piezo buffer amp)
    2. BBE OptoComp (low compression to balance volume across upright strings)
    3. Boss EQ (slight volume boost during solos)
    4. Moen Anole Looper (two side loops... Tech 21 VT Bass in one loop, Zoom BFX708 in other loop)
    5. Fulltone Bass Drive
    6. Korg Pitchblack Tuner

When I play upright I keep the effects to a minimum. I run straight through the looper so the order is HPF > BBE > Boss EQ > Looper (off) > Bass Drive (off) > Tuner > Amp. When I plug the electric in, I switch the Anole Looper so that I am running through the VT Bass.

The main effect I use is the Fulltone Bass Drive. Occasionally I will use the Zoom for a little chorus or phaser. It has some tone suck when off so I keep it in a loop. The Bass Drive has true bypass.

I use the VT as a tone shaper and use it to adjust the electric's output to match the level of my string bass. I have heard that I might consider putting the Bass Drive before the VT. Amp is an EA iAmp 500 generally running into an Acme B-2 or LDS 2 X 12.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if you're not using the vt for anything but tone shaping, i'd put it last, too.

3. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Thanks for the reply... yep...gonna try the VT last in the chain and see how that makes me smile!