Effects order : Phaser / Tremolo / Delay / Reverb ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark06, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Phaser > Tremolo > Delay > Reverb

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Phaser > Delay > Tremolo > Reverb

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Phaser > Delay > Reverb > Tremolo

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Delay > Phaser > Tremolo > Reverb

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Delay > Phaser > Reverb > Tremolo

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Mark06

Mark06

Jun 28, 2009
    Lyon, France
    Hi everyone,

I'm opening this thread to get your opinions about favorite chain order for these 4 effects : Phaser / Tremolo / Delay / Reverb.

Classic logic would be : Phaser (modulation) > Tremolo (volume) > Delay (time) > Reverb (time)

Personally, I prefer phased delayed signal and strong tremolo on the overall sound so I currently have : Delay > Phaser > Reverb > Tremolo

But still have to try every possible ways at different settings...

And you ?
    Please vote and give your opinion even if you miss 1 or 2 of these, thanks !

jefkritz likes this.
  2. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Jan 9, 2010
    Frankly, I think the idea of Tremolo at the end is badass. I used to do a similar thing with an Envelope filer and it’s very Mars Volta sounding. If you have a Reverb with trails on it, I could still see it being at the end to create an ambient echo over the cut of the tremolo, making it a useful texture option.

To match my playing style, I think I’d put mine as Phaser>Delay>Tremolo>Reverb

Mark06 likes this.
  3. Mark06

Mark06

Jun 28, 2009
    Lyon, France
    Thanks for your opinion ocoaibass. I may finally put Tremolo before reverb not to treat the trails indeed, not fixed yet on it.
    Else, I compared once again today phaser before delay but contrary to most of the first votes my preference is Delay > Phaser to slowly phase the full signal ... from far, but it seems to be a matter of opinion.

4. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I like my phaser after the delay. I don't use reverb on bass, but it would be at the very end if I did. I'm not much into tremolo either, although I like very fast stuttering/glitchy things. That would probably be before all of them. So it would be:

Tremolo > Delay > Phaser > Reverb

Also depending on the pedals you use, you might get some artifacts, glitches, etc. if you have them in a certain order which might or might not be a cool thing.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Mark06 likes this.
  5. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Get a Boss ES-5 and have it all!

Wito likes this.
  6. Mark06

Mark06

Jun 28, 2009
    Lyon, France
    Thank you for your input ! You're totally right, all in all it may indeed depend more on your pedals picks than your favorite theoretical order.
    Still find strange to have tremolo before delay since delay reapeats can tick during a short phase of down-peak volume of tremolo and thus canceling its effect, especially for notes you let ring, no ? Will retry it anyway...

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  7. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Maybe you're right. I was thinking the delay would definitely catch the first note of the tremolo, and I would want my tremolo fade w/ the delay after it. There's no real rules when it comes to fx order..

Mark06 likes this.
  8. No phaser last option in the pole...

Delay > Reverb > Tremolo > Phaser

Works well when Tremolo is a hard "helicopter" chop.

Otherwise it's Phaser > Delay > Reverb > Tremolo — again, a hard chop.

Mark06 likes this.
  9. Mark06

Mark06

Jun 28, 2009
    Lyon, France
    Interesting, I should have added every possible options... Also forgot Delay > Tremolo > Phaser > Reverb, etc...

By the way, I don't really hear differences when using Phaser > Tremolo or Tremolo > Phaser (Delay & Reverb unused) since modulation of volume before or after phase is the same isn't it ?

10. Never thought to try that. I've always had something between the phaser > ? > Tremolo (Delay, Reverb, or Dirt). I'll have to play with Phaser > Tremolo vs Tremolo > Phaser and see if I can hear a difference. You're probably right, I predict I won't. :headphone:

Mark06 likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021