Effects Pedal Database

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sean_w_mcgrath, Aug 13, 2005.

1. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Is there a website out there that has a database of effect pedals? Listing (for each pedal) features, prices, specifications, sound samples, artists who use the pedal, songs you can here the pedal on, links etc?

I am asking this because I have a lot of web development experience, and would be interested in creating such a site.

Is this something you think would be useful and would help at all? If so what type of features would you guys be interested in having? I'm am up in the air about including user's comments and reviews....because I would like this site to contain objective material....and leave the subjective material for forums like this.

What does everyone think?
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The only site I can think of is GuitarGeek, but a lot are missing reviews and prices and sound clips, but it lists the artists that uses the pedal. It is missing quite a few pedals and amps as well, but it's helpful for some things. Also, MusiciansFriend has some sound clips and some reviews, but as you know, you purchase off it, so it's going to be biased. Line6 has clips too.

I do not know a ton about effects, but if you were to make such a site, I would love to help you!
  3. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Yeah, this is the best thing out there....but the majority of it is subjective data, and reviews.

It doesn't have useful information such as the polarity of the power supply, etc....stuff like that.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    One day tplyons will finish his "work in progress" sticky upstairs. Right t?

But seriously, it sounds like a good, worthwhile idea. Just by hanging out here I can guess some of the info that people who will come to such a site as you are envisioning, would want to know:

Bypass: True or Not.

Processing: Digital or analog.

Operating voltage tied in with plug size and polarity.

Category of the EIQ (effect in question)

I guess if you can make it like an MS Access database that can be filtered by brand or effect type it would be great.

I don't like those chart type things that folks make in Excel. Then the site visitors will be forced to scroll through a long list to find what they want.
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    DIY guitar effects sites often have information and sound clips that other sites don't have, including schematics direct from the manufacturer, who in some cases may be out of business now. These could contain information you're wanting to put on your site, and they're always looking for mirrors and extra storage.

Unfortunately, a lot of these sites go up and down like a jack-in-the-box. Any link I would provide for you might not work 5 minutes later, but would pop up on somebody's mirror 48 hours later. Google search "DIY Guitar Effects" or something similar, and start scrolling...
    I'd love to see a consolidated, searchable database that didn't include reviews by people I don't know, and whose ears could be tin-coated and unable to hear quality if it danced on a table screaming "I am quality." Objective data helps me more, but is harder to obtain.
  6. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That Muziq and Harmony central things are cool. I still it will be cool make your own though! :)

We could probably make one ourselves in this forum, like everyone could submit what pedals they have and answer some questions and stuff.
  8. DiscoFreq

Jun 13, 2005
    Thank you for posting my site ;)

Other sites: Guitar Geek, Effectsdatabase (reviews), Harmony-Central (reviews), Harshnoise (reviews),...

I try to list all pedals (new and vintage) and link to other sites as much as possible. Sometimes I add new features or categories/labels (true bypass is probably interesting to add).
  9. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hey man let me know if you ever need any pictures of pedals I go through quite a few and will happily send you some snaps and info on them.

I can even provide sound clips.

Cheers for the excellent site I've been using it for ages.
  10. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I think it's a great idea, if you have the time and resources. The sites I typical look at are:

For info:
    and obviously http://www.talkbass.com

For pricing and/or sound clips:

You could always link TB and Harmony-Central for reviews, etc. If this thing gets going and you want some help with design, let me know -- I've been an art director for 17 years.
  11. DiscoFreq

Jun 13, 2005
    Thanks ;)

I can use pictures for the effects in the list at http://filters.muziq.be/incomplete/images

If you see long series of 1 brand listed there then I'm probably busy adding that brand, so ignore such brands :)
  12. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i think it would be handy to have a site that had plenty of bass sound samples. i know that basstasters kind of set out to do this, but it doesnt really seem to have taken off with regards to effects.

theres a ton of info here on talkbass, but it could certainly be sorted and compiled (with permission of course) and that would be useful.
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO, a page with effects, reviews, etc. DEDICATED to BASS would be a phenominal thing to have, and I would love to be a part of it.

Yes, I'm also working on my FAQ a little at a time in my spare (but scarce) time.

Electro-Harmonix is my bag of chips and the newer Morley stuff. MXR and some DOD as well. Mostly distortions though.