1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects pedal existation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Theonestarchild

    Theonestarchild Artfully lost

    Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Now... I know that you can do this with a toggle on the Les Paul guitars... And I know Ace Frehley used this technique alot. But I was wondering if there is a stompbox that would alternate opening and closing your signal at a set speed. This would be sweet.
  2. Petary791


    Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Maybe you're thinking of a tremelo?
  3. Theonestarchild

    Theonestarchild Artfully lost

    Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Not a tremolo. It would just cut your signal out and then back in rapidly.
  4. Tedintheshed

    Tedintheshed Banned

    Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    No, not a tremelo.

    I don't know of such an effect, but I would contact David Boggs at Loooper. He maybe be able to create something off of his stutter effect option that you can get with his Looopers.
  5. Theonestarchild

    Theonestarchild Artfully lost

    Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Perhaps the effect could even be set to toggle faster for loud notes and slower for soft notes, or vary loud to soft with a note fade, or vice-versa.
  6. seanm

    seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

    Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't think it would work in a pedal. You wouldn't be able to hit the on/off fast enough. You need the switch on your guitar.

    That said, a loooper with nothing in the send/return loop would mimic this. Also, a tuner with mute, such as a Boss TU-2, could do this. As could a Bassbone.
  7. bongomania

    bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, by this description, you DO mean a tremolo. One that has a square wave option in addition to the usual sine/triangle wave. Square wave in this case means "full-on, full-off" instead of a soft slope. Trems with that feature are less common, but they're out there. The Fulltone Supa-Trem has that feature.
  8. lookjojoisplaid


    Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    +1 on the tremolo just find one that cuts really hard. I think the Line 6 tap Tremolo actually has a feature on it that the harder you play the faster it cuts and vise versa
  9. seventhson

    seventhson Supporting Member

    Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Did anyone see Prince on SNL recently? He ended the 2nd song with an on/off effect. I suspect it was a tremolo unit with the square wave option and it sounded awesome.
  10. jondog


    Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've never tried it, but the ProCo Coughdrop pedal looks like a good way to get a stutter effect. I think of stutter as different from a square tremolo, but only because you control on/off. My danelectro tremolo has a good square. Somebody at Fender screwed up years ago and called a whammy/vibrato a tremolo and we are still paying the price today. Vibrato = pitch change, tremolo = volume change.
  11. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just traded off an older danelectro mini pedal that had a hard/soft switch that could do this. It also had rate and level controls. Inexpensive, but good. They now have a blend control. It was a trem pedal
  12. yeah, i have that setting on my Electrix MoFX, its got 3 different square wave sizes, for really quick, kinda quick, and sort-of quick...
    definately a tremolo though...

    JAUQO III-X Banned

    Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  14. a guy I know had a button on his guitar,that when pushed,would cut signal and when released would restore it..it was a spring loaded button(sort of like on a light board),as long as it was pressed,no sound would come out..if he did'nt touch it,the guitar would function as normal.I think it was wired directly to the output jack of the guitar.he could do the tempo thing really well with it(or speed up\slow down),much easier than the toggle switch,and no chance of wearing the toggle switch out or breaking it off..not to mention if your tempo setting(on a pedal) is a little off the actual tempo of the song it could get ugly. the switch is more of a "real time" control and at aprox. $.99-$2.00 at radio shack I'm sure it cost a lot less than any pedal.if you do not want to mod your guitar put the button in a small box at the end of your signal chain but before your amp and do it with your foot..hope this helps
  15. Petary791


    Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, that's what Buckethead has on his Les Paul.
  16. DougP


    Sep 4, 2001
    yep, i saw Bucketheads Les Paul with that as well.

    would the Z Vex Seek Trem do something like this as well?
  17. probably not, unless you could move your foot really fast!
  18. didier


    Aug 4, 2005
    EHX Pulsar? might be close, but it sounds like you want even more attack than it has. Check it out, though

  19. Dash Rantic

    Dash Rantic

    Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    My Boss BF-3's tremolo setting does that, it's just a hard gate mode really. It sounds pretty sweet.

    I've messed around with the Boss tremolo pedal a bit too, it also has a square wave function, you might want to check that out.

  20. Boss PN-2 trem/panner does this in it's sleep! Sadly it's long discontinued.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.