1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects Pedal For Bass.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shezz, Aug 7, 2007.

1. shezz

shezz

Aug 7, 2007
    Hi All From A Newbie To The Forum.
    Could someone recommend a GOOD effects pedal to use with a bass. The sounds that I am looking for are a good Fretless And Slap.I have tried a lot of pedals all which have been rubbish.............Shez

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I hate to say it but getting a good fretless or slap sound generally doesn't have much to do with effects. slap is down to technique. Good fretless sounding pedals don't exist to my knowledge. However some people do like to use eq or compression tro complement their slap sounds.

3. Hi :)

Check the FAQ and give the search button a try. There is a heap of info available. These topics come up...alot...

And +1 to what dirtgroove said :)

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, please expand on what you're looking for. Do you have a fretted and want to make it sound fretless? Or have fretless and want to make it sound different?

5. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I think the best effect for what you're looking for is a good bass, a good amp, and a fresh set of strings.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    A good slap sound comes from good technique, but a compressor is frequently used to limit the dynamics and "even out" the sound. EQ'ing with increased highs and lows, and cut mids (the "smiley face" EQ) is a pretty common setting for slap.

If you're looking for a pedal to make a fretted bass sound fretless, this question comes up pretty often around here, and no one has come upon a good answer in pedal form. A fretless bass just inherently makes different sounds than a fretted one.

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1 to prior comments! They've said everything you really need to know.

8. shezz

shezz

Aug 7, 2007
    Thanks for all your reply's, I should have stated that I have
    a Hofner Violin Bass,and would like it to go through a pedal
    so at times I can get a Fretless or Slap bass........Shezz

9. Basdyret

Basdyret A Dane in China

Aug 6, 2007
    Qingdao, China
    You're having a laugh, right...? :eyebrow:

There are no effects on the market that can simulate a decent fretless tone, so get a fretless bass for that.

And you get slap tones by slapping, not by going through a pedal. And you just can't slap on a Hofner Violin bass !!!

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    CoolClips_wb028618.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Boss makes them in two models, the Backhand (BH1) and the Forehand (FH1). Keeley makes the fretless mod for both models.

The pedals are also lefty and righty specific.

12. Boss makes them in two models, the Backhand (BH1) and the Forehand (FH1). Keeley makes the fretless mod for both models.

The pedals are also lefty and righty specific.

lol

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

In all seriousness, you have to use the right tool for the job. If you want a "slap sound", you have to learn how to slap. If you want a fretless sound, get a fretless bass. The only high-tech alternatives would be a MIDI-equipped bass or all-digital bass, both of which cost a LOT more than a pedal, and a heck of a lot more than a cheap fretless and some lessons.

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, hofners are great at some things but slap isn't one of them :)
    There are some 'defret' effects available on multi fx units, which basically do a 'swell' sound on your bass as you hit the notes. I've never found one that sounds great.

So, basically, I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for