1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

effects pedal to simulate tube overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zuri, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Zuri

Zuri

Jun 14, 2005
    I've got a solid state amp that sounds pretty good if I want a clean sound, but the overdrive is absolutely useless. I was wondering if there are any affordable pedals out there that more or less convincingly simulate tube overdrive? Nothing too metal-ish, no really heavy distortion, nothing that makes it sound too processed or too much like a guitar - just a classic sounding, growling, warm tube overdrive. Think Ramones (first album) or The Stranglers (first two albums) and other punk/hard rock stuff from the 70s.
    I know it's not gonna sound perfect or as good, but anything that sounds kind of similar would be great. Any help warmly appreciated!

2. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    theres tons of threads on this.. you just need to use the search...

3. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    EBS MultiDrive or Fulltone Bass-Drive.

Else get your hands on a tube-preamp :) I.e. Ampeg SVP-CL!

4. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just got a Fulltone Bass-Drive. Awesome overdrive, dual channel, and not that expensive either. Quite versatile--check it out!

-Dash

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I use a Timmy Overdrive pedal when using solid state amps. A/B'd it agianst my Sunn 200s, and it gives a pretty good aproximation of tube overdrive if you dial it in right. It can be used as anythig from a clean boost to moderatly heavy overdrive. It gives the s/s amps the little kick in the pants that they really need. It's designed for guitar, but works great for bass. Mine is always in the gig bag with me.

PDL-PC-TIMMY-1.gif

Here's a link to a place that sells them.
    http://www.revolutionguitar.com/pedals/PDL-PC-TIMMY.htm

6. Whatever...the best there is, was, and ever will be...Tech 21 SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI. there are three channels, the only problem is, you will love the first channel and never use the other three for a month or two (that's not really a problem though).

j

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I should check one out, it's got my name all over it.

8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    How about a pedal with some real tubes in it? Try the EHX English Muff'n.

The Fulltone Bassdrive and SABDDI are also good places to start.

9. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
  10. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Homebrew Electronics Hematoma.

11. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i too would say the muff'n! however i DO want a sansamp prog as a back up incase my amp goes down or i need to DI :bassist:

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

The Timmy really is a great little pedal. Doesn't really color your tone the way many other overdrives do. Sounds like your amp, just more overdriven. I like it quite a bit. It's a great s/s cure for when I leave my All Tube Sunns home.

13. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Sansamp.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love mine more all the time. Sometimes when I don't want to bring the whole pedal setup (NS-2, CS-3, D. Dawg, OC-3, CEB-3, Xciter, ODB-3, RC-20), I just bring the Dawg and the compressor.

My settings on the Dawg's tones are usually bass=1:30, mid=10:30, edge=CCW. Input gain has useable tones all the way from 9:00 to full - below 9:00 it gets hissy, because you have to use so much make-up gain on the output level. I usually run it at around 9:00 to 12:00.

I think it's very smooth and 'driven tube amp'-sounding. It's truly "growly".

When I first got it, I thought it 'sucked lows', and for single notes, I guess it really somewhat does. What the story is, though - and to me, one of the real strengths of this pedal - is that it uses 'nonlinear' or 'asemetrical' distortion, like tubes or FETs. Because of this, it exhibits pronounced subharmonics ('intermod' or 'frequency mixing' or 'beat frequencies' or whatever) when playing double-stops. When you play a 1-5, you clearly hear the 'ocatve below the one' subharmonic; for a 1-maj3, it's TWO octaves below the one; on a 1-4, it's an octave below the four, etc. These subharmonics can be quite earth-shaking!

I don't know why I don't hear more about these great distortions.

Joe

15. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I've got a fulltone bassdrive and, although a great pedal on its own, in your situation i'd get the sansamp.

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Bingo. Mine does a pretty amazing replication of my cranked Sunn Sorado, only with a LOT more control over everything.

http://nad.ultimatemetal.com/SterlingHematoma.mp3

Also I say bah, bah I say! to preamp tube overdrive, power amp tubes are where the cheese is.

17. I have several boosts on my board... a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive which is a great 'cleanish' boost, a Fulltone Fat-Boost - which really kicks my amp in the nuts. And an Ibanez TS9DX, I LOVE THIS PEDAL. In fact, I just bought a 2nd TS9DX to add to my board, because I find myself leaving my other one on all night long. I think the TS9DX is a great pedal for bass, b/c you don't lose any of the lowend. It has a very nice growl to it, yet isn't head-over-heels fuzzy/fizzy. I strongly advise anyone to look at this pedal if you are interested in some overdrive. I have used it with a solid-state amp & my tube rig... works great with both.