Effects Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by discobass, Sep 4, 2002.

1. discobass

Sep 4, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    I need a good (and deep) funk sound out of a pedal for under $150.00 any suggestions???:D
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

So, I guess you're into wah, autowah, bass synths and filters ?

Let me see in your budget :
    -EBS Bass IQ.
    -Boss AutoWah
  3. Boss OC- 2 octaver.

For more bluesstyle funk.

The Boss SYB-3 Bass syntheziser might be out of your budget. But I would go with that one if I want to play funk (wich I don't play :) ).
  4. Morley Dual Bass Wah $100 (all prices approximate) will give pedal and "touch" wah sounds (the latter being a filter controlled by how hard you play the note) at the touch of a switch and is probably the best bang for YOUR $150, leaving you some pocket cash for strings, etc.

That said, I am sure there will be dozens after me who will recommend one, some, or all of the following:

MXR Bass Auto-Q $135
    Dunlop Bass Cry Baby $135
    Both of these come from Jim Dunlop. One is "touch"wah, or "auto-wah" as it is also known; the other is a classic rocker-type of pedal familiar to generations of funk fans. Dunlop claims that the MXR actually uses the same circuitry as the CryBaby.

BOSS PW-10 V-wah. 3 memories & a manual setting make for 4 different pedal wah and synth-like sounds. I use one, and they are now found for $140 if you look hard enough.

BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah $90
    Guyatone Bass Wah Rocker $99
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah $80
    3 more auto-wah pedals. I've owned the BOSS, which, if you add an expression pedal, can also be pedal-wah. My needs dictate dedicated auto and pedal wah units; yours may vary.

ElectroHarmonix units (only those in your price range are presented here):
    Bassballs $75 a unique dynamic filter with switchable distortion
    Mini Q-tron -a bare bones version of what many would call the Big Daddy of funk FX $140

I have not even touched on the bass synth stompbox units that are out there, but the majority are above your price range unless you buy used, and the lower priced ones suffer heavy criticism in this forum. Do your research here.
    I'm sure that I probably neglected someone else's fave or two, but I would imagine that I have given you a nice start. Good hunting.
  5. In the time it took me to type my initial epic, 2 others responded. (sniff) I thought I was the first!

Side note--not something one wants to hear onesself say on one's wedding/prom/big date night!

Yes, the Boss bass synth is a decent pedal if used wisely. I use it for "Tom Sawyer" (of all things!) as well as its decent autowah feature.

Octave dividers are good advice, not necessarily for funk, but they do mitigate the need for a 5 string at times (if used correctly; your actual mileage may vary)
  6. discobass

Sep 4, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for your reply...
    I need a deeper tone like back in the late
    70's & early 80's funk..I went to guitarcenter
    but there are so many to chose from...
    Are any one of these 4 better than the other???
  7. Perhaps some questions are in order. What kinda bass ya playin' and how is your tone-shaping? If you don't have one, a pull-slap type of active EQ may be the real solution. Price update: The Guyatone Bottom Wah Rocker may be found at zZounds.com for under $70. Perhaps you could get their Bottom Blaster along with it for your $150 and that would give you several options with deep impact.