Effects pedals for bass and guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chi42069, Apr 23, 2004.

1. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    I currently have all bass gear but planning to play a guitar through it. Are there any effects pedals that work well with both bass and guitar? I figured going with bass pedals would be the best choice. Pedals such as Digitech distortion and delay.

chi :ninja:
  2. well, i'd say the bass effects are the better bet. they tend to keep the low end (usually). with thedelay though, it shouldn't matter. i don't think so at least. it just regenerates what you just played without adding anything. distortion is usually the worst when deciding between guitar or bass effects, because guitar effects usually suck out a bit of the bass eq, unless of course you've got a nu-metal distortion, and those usually have a eq on it (i think) so i would say bass effect for distortion, it desn't matter for delay.

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My opinion: either will work. They'll be different but if you want to retain the bass, either use bass pedals (which sometimes lose treble) or use modified guitar pedals. I modified a couple distortion pedals for a buddy of mine who played guitar and bass in bands and needed some pedals which would go either way. A few capacitors later and he had some sweet effects.
  4. delay is easy, gos both ways. theres one boss pedal that has guitar and bass inputs, but i dont know which one. take a look on their website. as far as distortions go, i think my rat pedal swings both ways, but youll find it hard to get exactly the sound with most pedals. the guitarist in my band uses my old boss odb sometimes, but if you dont get the frequencies exactly right it feeds back like super style. most other pedals (eg reverb, phaser etc) should be fine.