Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects-Pedals vs. processors.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by freddylang, Jan 16, 2001.

1. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Just looking for some opinions. Advantages/disadvantages between a do-all processor and individual pedals. I'm looking to simplify.
    Also, the best pedals out there: Compressors, Equalizers, Phase, Flanger, Reverb, and Distortion?

One more thing; can anyone explain patchbay? It seems to me to be similar to compression but I may be way off.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Big question with no definitive answer.

My take on it is this..

Do you want an effect to switch in or out or processing to keep on all the time? Most amps have comprehensive eq and effects (compression octaver on Ashdown).

If you want extra processing like extra eq or compression,enhancer whatever look at racks and leave it switched on and off the floor. If you want the odd effect, then look at 'quality' stomp boxes.

If you wish to minimise then look at a chorus/flanger and autowah/filter. You can spend loads of money on point to point, true bypass works of art (Fulldrive, Lovetone ,Z.Vex etc go to http//www.musictoyz.com and drool over the pictures) or use Boss which are ok for the money IMHO.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You are way off :)

A patchbay is nothing but a panel with jack on it that connects to various equipment. You then plug cord onto the jack to interconnect them. They are common in recording studios and are evolved from telephone switchboards, actually.

Have you seen an effect processor that has a feature called "patchbay"?

The simple answer to processor vs. pedals is that processors allow programming and instant recall of your settings, pedals don't. You can pick and choose the exact pedals you like but in a processor you may not like ALL the effects provided (i.e. how do you choose between two processors if you think the flanger on one sucks but the distortion on the other sucks, etc.).

Dollar for dollar, processor are cheaper if you wnat lots of effects. A processor like the Zoom 506 for $100 can literally do the work of $500+ worth of separate pedals. Does it sound as good, is it as flexible? That's for you to decide.

4. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I figured I was way off. I do have a processor with a patch bay so that's the reason for part of my confusion. I was messing around creating effects and patch bay didn't seem to do much. I think my confusion is because the p-bay is often used with the compressor. Something to do with the routing of the signal? I can't really see getting a bunch of pedals. I like pure sounds not necessarily a bunch of different effects. My nightbass has 400 presets and I use mostly just one raw effect alone. I use mostly compressor with equalization with a touch of flange, phase, distortion, or reverb. Plus I have an equalizer on my amp too so I can twiddle with two equalizers. Before anyone says it, I guess I answered my own question. I just always feel there is a sound I'll like better out there. Anyone else used an ART Nightbass? I got this thing real cheap used and it does everything. I had a cheap DOD processor before and it was generic but served it's purpose.

5. I would love to have a Night Bass processor I use a Peavy BassFex which is close but maybe not quite as good and I love it. I have many patches with just one or two effects they all sound different, the trick is to spend days or weeks with each patch untill it is right. All you need is a pre amp and a power amp and the endless search for amps and effects is over. and if they invent somthing new there is always the effects loop. The only thing that I wan't to change after years of use is the size of the speakers an mine are large. Oh, I also have a whole closet full of stomp boxes.

6. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    It took awhile but I finally am close to getting the sounds and effects that I like and want to use. I tried to use every effect I had on the processor and after 9 months I realized I had no practical use for 80% of them. Once I started taking one basic effect (distortion, flange, phaser, etc) and just making a adding a few slight enhancements I started liking my sound a lot more. I love using the rooms on the Nightbass. Wood floor, stone ceiling, carpeting, etc, can really add a lot of texture to your sound. I guess I really couldn't get that with boxes.

7. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The advantages of a rack mount FX unit are many sounds in a relatively small space,usually a higher level of quality both in sound and construction,and lots of cool flashing lights...for example,with a chorus type effect,you can dial in 3 or 4 (or 30 or 40) variations on your preferred chorus sound and save each one to a seperate program location,different sweep speeds,intensities,waveforms,etc.The down side is that you are spending quite a lot of money to buy into one manufacturer's take on what those sounds should be,which is where the big upside of individual pedals comes in: if you absolutely can't live w/o the unique grunt of the Green Meanie Flanger,you're still free to patch it in series with a Luvbone Hot Pastrami Envelope Mangler,as long as you can live with bending down after every song to twirl the knobs so that it's right for the next one.

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ray I agree but am toying with the loop at http://www.pedalboard.com you could use it to switch your effects and have the effects within easy reach.